Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:14 PM

Default 88 hu oop against preflop raiser

There is no problem with the actual hand (at least I think so), but while playing it I noticed that I wouldnt know how to handle this spot against a better, more aggressive opponent.

NL 600 10-handed, Hero and villain are about 100 BB deep.

weak tight villain (18/6/1,2) opens $18 in UTG+1, only Hero in the BB calls with 88.

Flop J33 ($39)

Hero checks, villain bets $30, Hero calls.

On the turn and river blanks fell, the hand got checked through and Hero's 88 beat villains's unimproved AK.

I had a precise read that villain will cbet almost any flop but not fire a 2nd barrel without a made hand which made it easy to play. On the turn I thought that in his place I would definitely bet an unimproved AK here. Most pocketpairs and many jacks will have a very hard time calling the second barrel, and his second barrel with A-high would balance his second barrels fired with strong hands. So can we qualify villain's turncheckbehind against a non-stationish player as a clear mistake, or is there anything I miss?

If villain was 25/15/2,5 and a strong player, what would we do? Taking the check/call line postflop would probably be the way to get most value out of it, but we would have to do some difficult guessing on the turn and maybe on the river, too. Folding the flop because villain is threatening further bets would feel terribly weak, we`re ahead against most of his range. But I would also hate calling the flop, calling the turn and then see villain bet or shove on the river. So if there is a solution besides „Call the flop and play poker from there on“, please tell me. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: 88 hu oop against preflop raiser

my thought is that villain saw too much showdown value in his hand to risk getting checkraised bluffed off of it on the turn and river. He also put himself in a position to call a river bet from you sometimes.

vs a player I'm scared of I probly just checkraises the flop and hope to buy it right there - folding to further action. The J on the flop is important for that move to make sense though.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: 88 hu oop against preflop raiser

[ QUOTE ]
I had a precise read that villain will cbet almost any flop but not fire a 2nd barrel without a made hand which made it easy to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not try a modest value/blocking bet on the river in hopes that AK/AQ will payoff?