Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Playing like you don\'t care= +EV???

Anyone think they play better when they don't care, about the outcome or the $$$$? Ive heard to be a great poker player u can't have any regard for money, and I think this is VERY true. Earlier today i played 100+ sngs and was down 10-15 buyins (600-900) at the $60 level pretty much all day right from the start. Frustrated, but before I started my last set I told myself I'm already down and I just don't care about winning or the money, and I ended up with a great set and getting even on the day. Maybe luck just came my way on my last set but I think theres more to it then that.

Anyone feel like they play their best when they just don't care?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Playing like you don\'t care= +EV???

you might be prone to anxiety when you play. Are you playing above your bankroll?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:37 AM

Not the case here, but in the past Ive played outside of my roll. I just think not caring is relaxing, and maybe when im thinking and caring too much anxiety is there. Pokers a funny game so maybe just got lucky my last set but I know I was feeling like I just dont even care if I win or lose. I was done for the night no matter what happened, but it sure felt good afterwards to get even.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 PM

The optimal state to play poker --

You have an very strong desire to win, you hate to lose, but the value of the chips does not matter. You might be playing $1/2 or $1000/2000, and your desire to win in each is the same.

If you play within your bankroll, this works.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 AM

For me I have to be playing in the sweet spot of my BR. I never play underrolled but for a long while I played far too low for my BR/skill because I didn't have faith and it was terrible for my game. Winning and losing stopped being that important and my game stagnated for ages.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive heard to be a great poker player u can't have any regard for money, and I think this is VERY true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the desire to win among most professional poker players is clearly linked to their desire to make money, at least until or if you have enough money to where the money just doesn't matter.