Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Default NL-25: #-bet light meets resistance

Button is 32/17/4. BB is tight.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($3.85)
Button ($25.80)
Hero ($36.70)
BB ($108.35)
UTG ($24.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1.75.

Standard 3-bet, but I think I should have made it at least 3 bucks, especially since from his stats we can deduce he will call me somewhat lighter than general.

Flop: ($5.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.75</font>, Button calls $3.75.

Monotone flop with medium pair. I guess I have to make a c-bet here. I also could easily have the best hand.

Turn: ($12.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ??

Now comes my real doubt. What should I do? I guess I could check, hoping for a cheap showdown and folding to a strong bet. Or I could try to represent the A and bet something like $8. What would you do?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: NL-25: #-bet light meets resistance

Eh...that is not a standard 3bet preflop but actually a fold because you do not have position on him. Lead on the flop was pretty weak because I don't think he is going to fold with any hand he has here given that he is loose. As played, check-fold. You really need position in these spots.

Also, representing an A would not really be a good idea because he is coming along with any high club, and again, he is loose so you have little fold equity. Double barreling here is spew IMO.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 PM

I meant this is a standard 3-bet light. Of course I canīt do it all the time, but this is a good spot to vary my play. The flop seems to be a standard c-bet, otherwise what do I do, check-fold? Then I agree it would be better not to 3-bet at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 PM

Yes varying your play is good but doing it from the SB is -EV, especially at microstakes where there is very little (probably none) metagame going on. It would be better to vary your play from the button or something because I doubt that your opponents will think that you are unpredictable because you raised from the SB.

However, I really do not know how to properly play post-flop in this position because I wouldn't ever let myself get in this spot with such a weak hand. My first instinct is to not let the pot get large and the best way to do this is probably to check-fold after the flop hits me pretty light. If it goes check-check on the flop, I would still probably give up the hand. Bloating the pot in this situation is the worst.

But like I said, someone else would be better at explaining what to do post-flop in this position because I have very little experience in this type of situation because it's hard.

Edited to add: I recommend that you switch to FR because right now you're preflop and postflop game isn't looking to sharp. Just keep posting hands on here and when you feel you really comfortable game and have proven a winner over a large sample of hands, then you can move to 6max. FR is just much easier for beginners. No offense.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 PM

don't 3bet this guy because you have no fold equity because he is most likely calling with his entire opening range and you are oop with a marginal hand.

At least make it 3 flat if your rly want to do this
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 PM

PF is very bad. You think he's calling light so you're trying to play a 3bet pot with 67s out of position?

I would double barrel this like always if the flop wasn't monotone. Probably just c/f here, since he shows up with a turned Ace far more often than usual.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 PM

This is the 2nd post I have seen you say that 32/17/4 is tight, am I being leveled here?

Anyway, I don't like this 3-bet, I think you really need to hit a flop hard to shake this guy off. I guess the flop lead isn't too bad, you may be slightly ahead of his range here but on the turn your equity drops dramatically, I c/f here.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Button is 32/17/4 (LAG). BB is tight (I didnīt bother putting the stats, since he doesnīt play the hand).
Old 10-13-2007, 03:15 AM

3betting light oop @ 25nl is just silly
Old 10-13-2007, 05:19 AM

Remember that 3 betting light (whether in position or OOP) works well against a certain class of players, some of whose attributes you can recognize quickly while playing at the table: they loosen up in later position more than otherwise (have some positional awareness), and/or they're straight-foward postflop (e.g. the people on the table you can count on to fold to your c-bets even though they insist on taking a flop very often when you raise pf), and/or they appear to have some discipline (they don't show up with trashy Ax offsuit at the end of medium and big pots, they don't call off stacks with every TPmk above a 7, etc.)

If somebody seems loose and dumb, don't 3 bet them light, simply isolate them with big cards and value bet them hard when you hit. Feel-wise, you should be going for the people who seem 'active' in late position, who seem to widen and narrow their range, who show evidence, in other words, of intermediate poker skill, and whom you can therefore attempt to manipulate with light 3 bets. At NL25, that's a minority.