Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Wtf? I just got approached by Amway!?

5) Join up.

Dude, that stuff practically sells itself. When opportunity knocks, you better answer.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 AM

I have known lots of people who have gotten involved in multi-level marketing companies. I have never been convinced to join them because it is pretty obvious that you can't make any money. I've always tried to convince them that they are making a mistake, but they won't listen. These are smart people too.

I don't think they are scams in the traditional sense. It is just a business model that works great for the parent corporation and is a waste of time for those who join these programs. The people who get scammed are those that sign-on to be sales people or marketers. The products themselves are not a scam.

Regarding this kid, I think all hope is lost. You can try to talk him out of it, but it looks like he is brainwashed already. Sometimes you have have to let people fail. Once he fails he will realize what a dumb idea the whole thing was.

For those that mentioned Primerica, I think they call everybody. I think the only qualification for working for them is that you have a pulse. They are a division of Citigroup, which gives them some credibility in some people's minds. When someone calls you up and says they have a great job opportunity for you, but they can't tell you what it is, so you will have to come to a seminar to find out about it, you know it is a load crap. If it were such a great money making opportunity they wouldn't need to cold-call people and get them to come to a seminar in order to recruit salespeople.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Default quixtar trip report

I have a friend who is involved in this company and tried to get my to sign up with them around Thanksgiving last year. He called me every Thursday for like a month straight trying to get me to go to Tulsa for a Quixtar meeting. For some reason I couldn't go every week. Then one day he called me and said that he was going to have a meeting at his mom's house and I should come. I felt bad for not ever going to the meetings so I went to this one.

I went there with absolutely no intention of buying anything and my friend and three other people were all there were wearing suits (I'd never seen my friend in a suit) and when I walked in they had a tripod thing set up with all these huge cards on it showing me everything about the company. It was so [censored] awkward because I was the only one there. There was no one else there. Just me and those three.

After it was over they asked me if I was interested in buying a part of their company or whatever and I said no and left. It was so awkward. I kind of felt bad because they all drove down from Tulsa (about 30 minutes) just to do this hour long presentation to me when I had zero intentions of doing any business with them.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:44 PM

It seems like where I live, the popular MLM company is ACN. I'll get randomly approached by a rep probably about 2-3 times every year. They sell some digital phone service I believe.

It happens the same way every time. If you're looking at something in a store, they'll come over and randomly start talking about that. Or if you're wearing something on your shirt that lends itself to conversation (like your school Alma Mater or a sports team), they'll come over, mention something about that, and then introduce themselves. You always know it's them before they even start on their speech, because no one else comes up and makes the same random conversation in the manner that they do. There just seems something so scripted and awkward about the conversation as it's happening (because it is). And then after a minute or two of some inane small talk, they start in on their sales pitch.

"...I help people find their financial freedom..." I can't tell you how many times I've heard that line.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:13 PM

I just want to point out that MLMarketing morphed into Affiliate Marketing... which led to Rakeback!

Be thankful for Amway and other MLM's that paved the way...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 PM

Just make a smooth, non-confrontational exit from the situation. You don't want to give them anything to get their hooks into so they can keep you talking and arguing, because guys like this can really wear on your nerves, and often just give you hostile send-off once it's clear they failed. There's really no good that can come of prolonging it. Just do a calm "no means no" if they persist, and leave it at that.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Amway Link

Here's a link to give your friend. It's very critical (sour grapes?) but there are links to other mainstream articles in there. There is a lot of information.

I was in Amway in the mid 80's. It is definitely not for everyone. There is very little left of the people that were above me and they were "successful" at the time. Luckily, my wife and I were poor and couldn't afford to shove a bunch of money into it so we didn't lose much when we stopped.