Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Kojack decides to take on the world with one pair.

6 players limp, and I complete in the sb with KJo. BB knuckles.

Flop J89 no flush draw.
I bet
four callers, and the tricky button raises.
All call.
J89 4 on the turn, which creates a flush draw.
I checkraise the button and get called by 2 players and the button.
River is a 7.
I check, mega-[censored] lag bets. everyone folds. I call.

Skewer me alive please.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Kojack decides to take on the world with one pair.

Kojak needs to 3 bet the flop if he wants to continue playing I think. Face anyone with a 10 with 2 cold back to them because they very well might call w cold on the turn anyway.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 AM

in these games, i'm sure 2 sb isnt gonna discourage anyone from folding a T... it might make ppl fold their naked Q or 7 though...

i like snowball's line... there are soo many cards that could make his hand shrink on the turn, good job raising a safe card...
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 AM

ZOMG, another KJo thread, lol

I wouldn´t 3-bet flop bc of the fact that most players who´ve already `paid to see the turn card` with their one bet, AINT FOLDING to our 3-bet

furthermore, we´ve got a very vulnerable hand in a multiway pot and I´d want to proceed with caution, no need to start spewing chips here

also, by not taking the initiative over with a 3-bet, we leave our options open on the turn

when the turn bricks off, I´d strongly consider donking into the field, with only 1 more card to come our equity has increased enormously, we´re likely to have the best hand and it´s highly unlikely that we´re going to get raised by a hand we beat

if we check with the intention of raising we run the risk of seeing the turn get checked through and miss value

the chance that one of the limpers will bet at the pot is very slim, so we´re basically hoping to raise button, who very well could have raised flop with a T (perhaps +pair) and take a free card

also, when button DOES bet, we shouldn´t even feel all that happy to c/raise him, bc he´s going to have AT LEAST somewhat of a decent hand to bet into a large field and he might even have us crushed

also, when we donk and get raised we´ll learn a lot about the strength of out hand, bc none of the limpers in between is going to raise us here with a hand that beats us and I think it´s highly unlikely for button to raise anything we beat as well

I could only see button get tricky with a hand like JT when he´s raising for a free showdown

so, even though we´re not max charging drawing hands, I really prefer donking this turn over a c/raise

as played, getting 19:1 vs a LAG you´ve gotta pay off river
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM

3 responses and no one mentioned what I think was the biggest mistake in the hand.

Ok here it is:

My flop bet is simply godawful. This flop is highly likely to have given someone 2 pair, a made straight, or a pair plus a straight draw. The turn and river cards are going to drastically change my equity. We're OOP here too in the sb, which further reduces my hand strength.

The pot is small. Keeping it small will allow me to make better decisions than my opponents on the turn and river. Making it big now will tie me to it in a spot where I can easily get outplayed or valuetowned on later streets, even by awful players.

I was semi tilting when this flop came down, so even though my first thought was "check because my equity is gross and I'm out of position", I muted that thought and just bet out anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 responses and no one mentioned what I think was the biggest mistake in the hand.

Ok here it is:

My flop bet is simply godawful. This flop is highly likely to have given someone 2 pair, a made straight, or a pair plus a straight draw. The turn and river cards are going to drastically change my equity. We're OOP here too in the sb, which further reduces my hand strength.

The pot is small. Keeping it small will allow me to make better decisions than my opponents on the turn and river. Making it big now will tie me to it in a spot where I can easily get outplayed or valuetowned on later streets, even by awful players.

I was semi tilting when this flop came down, so even though my first thought was "check because my equity is gross and I'm out of position", I muted that thought and just bet out anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. . .I like the turn play though.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM

I would typically check the flop here looking to raise if button bets. This should remove a Q or 7 looking for a gut shot. Nobody is going to fold a T on the flop. This also provides an opportunity to get away from this hand if it comes back 3 bets to me...

If you don't raise the flop after the button bets trying to keep the pot small - the problem is that you have given the Q and 7 guys an opportunity to see the turn... And with 6 or so big bets in the pot by the time the turn comes - even if you check raise the turn you still aren't going to get a T to fold IMO...