Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

I just started reading and found a possible typo.

Page 21-22 - "...in the big line in a 9-handed $0.50-$1 game with loose-passive opponents. You have the short stack of $11. eight players limp, and you check. The pot is $9. The flop is Kc6h4d. It is checked around. The turn is the Qc, giving you the nut flush draw. The small blind checks. You decide to check. The next player bets $10. The other seven players call. What do you do? You call all-in. The pot is $89, and the bet is $10. Yielding pot odds of 8.9-to-1...

How did the pot get to $89 with only $9 in the pot and a $10 bet and call?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
The other seven players call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 PM

this is the one thing i hate about poker books. this example is wriiten in a vacume. what good player would let himself have only 10bb before playing a hnad. this is a cash book right? dont good players rebuy at some point. say he had 100 then lost to a all-in player which left him with 10bb. why would anyone play the next hand without rebuying. this example is bs. also would not a good player go all in on the turn when he had the chance to act? why check then go all-in even though 7 people call a 10 dollar bet. i hope this book is not full of these types of examples. i hope the book has practical real examples. this is why many good players are frustrated with todays poker books.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM

This is the one thing I hate about people replying in threads about poker books. Their posts are written in a vacuum. Would not a good poster read more than a copy and pasted paragraph before commenting? Then he wouldn't make acomplete fool of himself.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 PM

I think it's high time I weighed in on the value of this "book."

Don't bother reading any of those books about poker "theory". You can't learn how to play from a book. Books are filled with math and that [censored] doesn't matter in poker. You need to have instincts and balls of steel. Play No-Limit Texas Hold'em and just bluff the donkeys out of pots. Learn how to stare into another man's eyes and know everything about his life.....that's the way to play poker. Books can't teach you that.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is high time you developed some manners and quit being such an F'n troll.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM

everything i wrote is in proper context of the example used. i did not read the rest of the book simply because i dont have the friggen book. what i wrote is true. if you take a look at phil gordans little blue book you will see that all his hand examples have actually happened which has way more value then the example posted from this new book. i wrote an honest opinion ABOUT ONE EXAMPLE and you hi-jack this thread. YOU ARE THE FOOL.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
this is the one thing i hate about poker books. this example is wriiten in a vacume. what good player would let himself have only 10bb before playing a hnad. this is a cash book right? dont good players rebuy at some point. say he had 100 then lost to a all-in player which left him with 10bb. why would anyone play the next hand without rebuying. this example is bs. also would not a good player go all in on the turn when he had the chance to act? why check then go all-in even though 7 people call a 10 dollar bet. i hope this book is not full of these types of examples. i hope the book has practical real examples. this is why many good players are frustrated with todays poker books.

[/ QUOTE ]

L.....O......L.......

facepull, read the actual passage in the book and I promise you'll hit the EDIT button on your post faster than a jackrabbit on crystal meth....

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Finally, about time. I checked 2p2 every day for the last month to see if you finally weighed in with your opinion, but every day I came away disappointed. Now that it finally came, it was better that I ever imagined.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM

guys, let's keep this thread on topic - pretty please....

if anyone (who has read the book) has any questions or comments (about said book which they've read), fire away.....

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]