Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Default obscure MUST SEE movies

first, make sure your suggestion is MUST SEE and not just good. second, make sure the move is obscure. (must see is more important than obscure, many of the readers are very young)

TWO LANE BLACKTOP. seriously, seriously one of my top 10 movies of all time.

G.T.O.: [after being approached sexually by a male hitchhiker] I'm not into that!
Oklahoma hitchhiker: I just thought it might relax you while you drive.
G.T.O.: This is competition, man. I've got no time.

then enjoy other monte hellman movies like COCKFIGHTER.

next, ROLLING THUNDER

Linda Forchet: If you know where some of then men are, why don't you call the police?
Major Charles Rane: Because I want to find them all.

gooooooood shyt.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

I'm not sure if its obscure but a recently watched Harold and Maude with a friend which I had never heard of.

[ QUOTE ]
Harold is a depressed, death-obsessed 20-year-old man-child who spends his free time attending funerals and committing suicide in front of his mother, but he does not die. At a funeral, Harold befriends Maude, a 79-year-old woman who has a zest for life. She and Harold spend much time together during which she exposes him to the wonders and possibilities of life. After rejecting his mother's three attempts to set him up with a potential wife, and committing fake suicide in front of all of them, Harold announces that he is to be married to Maude. However, Maude has a surprise for Harold that is to change his life forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

again it may just be my ignorance and this could be a well known movie but I found it to be original, visually pleasing, hilarious and touching.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 PM

Saw a movie called Medium Cool for a film class I took one summer during high school. It is this weird mix of drama/documentary taking place during 1968, focusing on the Democratic Convention in Chicago that year. I haven't seen it since, so I might feel differently now, but I was absolutely blown away by it at age 17. At the very least, it's worth seeing for any modern U.S. history buff.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM

science of sleep
here are a few forieng ones i'll assume are obscure
el norte
jean de florette
my life as a dog
Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 PM

PRIMER - An indie sci-fi film from just two years ago that I loved and that seems perfectly suited for 2p2ers, imo. Smart young guys have a small business in their garage as an addition to their engineer day jobs. One day they accidentally create what turns out to be a kind of time machine, and unlike every movie ever, they actually think about what they're doing and try to use it in rational ways. But that still doesn't mean everything goes smoothly. I can't say much more without spoiling, just that I give it my highest possible recommendation, to a thinking audience.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM

I don't know how obscure movies with Johnny Depp and Ben Stiller can be, but :

Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch. Psychedelic black and white western starring Depp, as well as Crispin Glover, John Hurt, Robert Mitchum, Gabriel Byrne, Iggy Pop, Billy Bob Thornton, Alfred Molina, Lance Henriksen ... and a soundtrack by Neil Young. Great, great movie.

Permanent Midnight ... Ben Stiller plays a junkie sitcom writer for an "Alf"-like show. Based on the memoir by Jerry Stahl.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM

I actually dont know if its obscure, but the movie Thursday, is a must see imo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124901/
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 PM

Two Australian films made by the same team.

1. The Dish - story of the first moon landing told from the perspective of the guys running the radio telescope in Parkes in NSW Australia. Great light comedy / drama / storytelling

2. The Castle - A man's home is his Castle. Story of a bloke who stands up for his rights when the Federal Government tries to acquire his property for airport expansion.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Ghost Dog- Forest Whitaker as an inner city Samurai hit man, up against the Public Enemy spouting mob. His best friend is a Haitian ice cream vendor and neither of them speaks the other's language. It works well.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 PM

Obscure movie that was so horrible it was hilarious. Killing spree (1988?) Probably one of the lowest budget movies iv ever seen on video. Ordered something in the mail, this came instead. Really cheesy low budget horror movie with awesome lines like "you screwed my wife, so ill screw drive your head!" and then of course he drops a screw driver into the guys head which kills him.