View Poll Results: Hero's flop action?
Check/fold 4 8.51%
Check/call 23 48.94%
Check/raise 12 25.53%
Lead 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: SSNL, what\'s your story?

Iam in college, Ive never had a real job. Its my 3rd year Iam 21 years old. Ive always tld my self, when I go broke Ill get a job. Well I am majoring in Turf Managment, which will pay nice, but until then, I am playing poker.

I started at the age of 16 playing online back in the day.
Its just a thrill for me sitting with $400 at the table, and knowing I am capable of busting these guys. Its just part of life when you go through them downswings. But its not the winnings that will keep you going, its how you handle your losses. Winnings will obv. keep you going up until a certain point. You have to be ready to lose 8,9,10 etc. buy ins.

TBH I really don't have a clue where ill be in a couple years. I don't know if I want to play poker for the rest of my life, but I am sure life will throw the right opportunity to me at some point.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 PM

I'm a student, and earn enough at 100nl to support myself. It's just that unless I end up being a 1000nl regular or something like that, I'd rather do something else then playing poker for a living.

So yeah I'm in my third year, and maybe I'll take half a year off when I finished my bachelor, just to see if I can move up in stakes fast. But I am planning to get my masters in 2 years, and hopefully get a real job, and play some poker on the side if it still exists by then. That's probably the thing I am worried about the most, will it still be around in say 2 years, or should we all be playing live by then?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Next thursday I'll be getting my master of science degree, yay [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've got a job as software engineer and I'm going to do that kinda fulltime from then on, but I'm able to work from my home with flexible hours, so I can blend in some poker.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 6bb winner and try to get 15k hands in a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Do u stay in ssnl because if u move ur winrate drastically decreases, or cause u have to withdraw a lot of money?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 6bb winner and try to get 15k hands in a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Do u stay in ssnl because if u move ur winrate drastically decreases, or cause u have to withdraw a lot of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started winning a decent amount. I'm hoping to move up to 2/4 next month. I only withdraw my rakeback atm.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM

29...work full time as a story editor at a movie production company. Was always a casual player, 50NL, 100NL,but finally decided to buckle down get some coaching and will probably do the Isura "program" once i get the cash. Plan to be at 100NL by end of Jan and 200NL by summer.
Make 48K per year but its a long ass work week. Working towards a career as a writer/director so being able to play and support myself full time while I write would be pretty sweet.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I'm thinking is that

25nl is obviously not 'life changing' $

1000nl obviously is

but 200nl is kind of in the middle...we can make a lot there, but not generally enough to make it a career I wouldn't think. But seems to be a great place for a couple years.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.
And if you save like a mofo (like living in a cheap asian country =P) it can add up to a damn nice sum. Then, if you invest it well, even if it only doubles every 10 years in a conservative investment, that means that after 40 years (retirement age), it's 16 times what you put in - which is a GOD DAMN LOT OF MONEY.

Compound interest starting when your young ftw.
(n.b. starting 10 years later halves the final amount for those that don't understand compound interest and exponential graphs)

Then after 2-3 years of 200nl+ poker, you can get back into some other career and get on with your normal life knowing that you have a massive edge on the financial side of things for the rest of your life.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 PM

It's difficult to talk about some of these decisions with my friends who are struggling with money or dealing with their lame 9-5, and I always feel bad when I say 'hey, i just shipped $2k' or 'hey i'm on a $4k downswing'.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM

19, 2nd year physics student.
I put in around 25k hands a month depending on what I'm doing, but poker always takes a backseat to just about everything else, I just use it to fill my idle time.

I'm thinking about taking a year off next year but it's more because I'm more or less burnt out on science and want to go play, not because I want to grind for a year solid.

I'm fairly into outdoor sports/adventure stuff, so poker cash is financing a couple trips right now which is sweet because that can get really expensive. I'm flying out to Fernie, BC in February and doing back country skiing for 2 weeks all on poker $$, should be fantastic.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:02 PM

23 yo and i droped out from uni 2 times (computer science and safety engineering). In my defense i never studied before uni and i was quite shocked at how much time u need to be behind the books. I could make it this year (1 exam left in september) but meh.

Atm im basicly pro (only income) and i plan to learn some option and certificate investing in near future. My expenses are very small, so i invested quite nice sum so far.
I never saw myself in 9-5 job (well happy at doin it) so i can almost say im living my dream.