Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Recommend me some beer, plz

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are in fact in Pittsburgh as your Loc says you have to go to Penn Brewery (http://www.pennbrew.com/) and get some sort of sampling of different types of beer to see which kinds suit your pallet. I HIGHLY recommend Penn Weizen, one of the best wheat beers period. Pipers Pub in the South Side is also an awesome place to try new beers without the commitment of buying a case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it that every time there's a thread about beer someone always has to go on about how their thoroughly mediocre local microbrewery has such awesome beer? Seriously, there's like 15 excellent breweries in the US, not every little crappy microbrewery is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

The number is closer to 100. OTOH, allagash, oskar blues, rogue, stone, ommegang, avery, great divide, southampton, 3 floyds, surly, dogfish head, smuttynose, thomas hooker, victory, and bear republic fill out your list.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good but overpriced. I got the gift pack because the glass it came with was pretty sweet.

I must also concur with all the recommendations for dale's pale ale. I haven't had surly yet, but this is my favorite canned beer by far.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6. Stouts and other heavy beers

[/ QUOTE ]
Many times stouts re low-calorie and they're frequently lower alcohol than most other ales.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, b/c they lack bitterness, they are often easier for people to like than other beers

[/ QUOTE ]

I was mainly thinking in terms of my subjective perception of how different these kinds of beers are from Bud-grade lager. You are right though that they should prob be higher on the list.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are in fact in Pittsburgh as your Loc says you have to go to Penn Brewery (http://www.pennbrew.com/) and get some sort of sampling of different types of beer to see which kinds suit your pallet. I HIGHLY recommend Penn Weizen, one of the best wheat beers period. Pipers Pub in the South Side is also an awesome place to try new beers without the commitment of buying a case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it that every time there's a thread about beer someone always has to go on about how their thoroughly mediocre local microbrewery has such awesome beer? Seriously, there's like 15 excellent breweries in the US, not every little crappy microbrewery is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

The number is closer to 100. OTOH, allagash, oskar blues, rogue, stone, ommegang, avery, great divide, southampton, 3 floyds, surly, dogfish head, smuttynose, thomas hooker, victory, and bear republic fill out your list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we just have different standards for what counts as an excellent brewery, for me an excellent brewery means at least one world class beer and one excellent one. Also I just said 15 off the top of my head. From your list I'd say the excellent breweries are Stone, 3 floyds, DFH. Oskar blues is close but doesn't have enough different beers, nothing rogue has is truly world class, hooker's only good beer is their dopplebock, victory could be in the same class as above if you think storm king is excellent, I'm fairly down on it.

My list for the US would look something like,
Stone
Port/Lost Abbey
Russian River
Hair of the Dog
DFH
3 Floyds
New Glarus
Great Divide
Alesmith (best brewery in the world)
North Coast
Bells
Founders
Old 11-15-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we just have different standards for what counts as an excellent brewery, for me an excellent brewery means at least one world class beer and one excellent one. Also I just said 15 off the top of my head. From your list I'd say the excellent breweries are Stone, 3 floyds, DFH. Oskar blues is close but doesn't have enough different beers, nothing rogue has is truly world class, hooker's only good beer is their dopplebock, victory could be in the same class as above if you think storm king is excellent, I'm fairly down on it.

Stone
Port/Lost Abbey
Russian River
Hair of the Dog
DFH
3 Floyds
New Glarus
Great Divide
North Coast
Bells
Founders

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real solid list dsnowden. As for Oskar Blues, I think their lineup is really good, though they only have four mainstream beers. They just canned Ten Fidy, their imperial stout, and I'm trying desperately to get my hands on it. So I'm going to be a New York homer and replace either Great Divide or North Coast with Captain Lawrence.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are peoples thoughts on Michelob Ultra?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have it after all the races here. I prefer the Amber, but it will get you [censored] up in a spot if you are dehydrated from running.

I have not seen it mentioned so far:

Michelob AmberBock
Michelob Honey Lager - If they have this where you live, drink a six pack for me.

They fit most of the requirements of your OP.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM

See this thread on El Diablo Forum for all that is beer:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&fpart=1
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stone
Port/Lost Abbey
Russian River
Hair of the Dog
DFH
3 Floyds
New Glarus
Great Divide
North Coast
Bells
Founders

[/ QUOTE ]

Your list is good, Snowden, but the three I bolded above definitely meet your definition. If you don't dig them because you don't like Belgian-style beer, that's fine, but Ommegang, Southampton, and Allagash all meet or exceed your requirements of having one world-class beer and one excellent beer. I think you could debate the presence of Avery, and the somewhat more worthy Rogue on this list. I'm not familiar with Thomas Hooker at all.

Edit: to add,

RDH,

Nice post

OP,

Here's the best source for beer on 2+2.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&fpart=1

Take some of RDH's advice and peruse the index in there for styles you might like.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM

after reading this thread on all these good beers all i can think to myself is:

damn getting some 40s would be fun...
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM

it wont make you look classy, but wanting to have a classy beer is just retarded anyway