Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

KT, way to go off the beaten path. I must admit I was skeptical my first go-around, but I'm a big fan of sour things in general, so maybe that's why I like sour beer so much. One of the major differences between regular Rodenbach and the Grand Cru is that the latter is aged in French Oak I believe, so you end up getting a much dryer finish and you can smell/taste the barrel's influence in the beer. The Grand Cru is the superior beer, IMO, as it should be. As far as sour ales go, both Rodenbachs are probably the cheapest you'll find and they're damn good for the price.

For those who may not want to jump into the deep end, but maybe want put their foot in the water, I suggest trying beers that have been partially fermented with Brettanomyces. This particular yeast gives beers a very funky aroma and slightly sour taste, but it's not balls-to-the-wall or anything. Some examples include Ommegang Ommegeddon, any of the Jolly Pumpkin brews, and Orval.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be reviewing tons more as I live near a great store that has like 500 different beers sold as singles. I do need to get a digi cam also. For the record - my current fav micro in a bottle is Dogfish 60 IPA. My fav cheapo beer is Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale.

[/ QUOTE ]

siggy, just curious what store you are referring to? I typically head down to Total Wine in Claymont, DE or State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD (when I'm passing by). Just curious if you had a different 'hot spot'

[/ QUOTE ]

Foodery - 10 and Pine in Philadelphia - Unfortunately - it's a bit pricey - I do actually wing on down to Total Wine in De occasionally.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Currently sipping on Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, and had to come write about it. Not sure if it's been reviewed before, this thread's getting so long. Anyway...

Belgian Strong Dark Ale, 9% ABV
Pours a deep brown with amber accents, and a decent tan head that fades a little too quickly. Smells of dried cherry/raisin, as well as alcohol. The taste is incredibly balanced: a perfect amount of sweet yeast, dried fruit, alcohol, and malt that come together in perfect harmony. Very drinkable, and not just for a 9% brew. I absolutely love it, and highly recommend it.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Yep, that's one of my favorites [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Nice pick, and nice review.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 AM

KT,

The Rodenbach grand cru is much much better than the classic. I don't care for the classic, but the grand cru is a very nice example of using sourness well outside of lambic styles.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 PM

so im drinking some new belgium La Follie. It is supposedly highly sought after and one of the best so I decided to see what all of the hype was about it. This is the most interesting beer I've ever had. It pours a brownish red w great tan head. The smell is overwhelming of sour fruits. This beer tastes just like it smells. Sour fruits at first and then a hint of a brown ale. This beer is phenomenal if you like sour things, if not I would prob still taste it for the experience of it. This stuff goes fast so if you run into a bottle of it I'd pick it up
Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 PM

What did it run you?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Edit: 750ml obviously
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 PM

That's still pretty steep. I'll have to see how it compares in price w/ the Rodenbach Grand Cru.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:35 AM

hey y'all,

I was recently back east visiting folks and family and tried some more beer. Sorry I got no detailed reviews, just a couple of quick notes.

I don't get dogfish head in Cali, so I headed to the store for some. I picked up a six of the Indian Brown, a 750mL of Black and Blue, and a 12 oz bottle of the 120.

Indian Brown is very solid with a little extra bite than your standard brown ale. I'd probably usually opt for the cheaper versions out there though.

Black and blue was good, but wasn't all that memorable either.

The 120. Two words. Hated it. Poured out half the bottle. Not sure what it was. Just didn't appeal to me at all, and I love hoppy beers. Hate this crap. Never again.

Quick note for any Boston folks who read this: while visiting friends I checked out a bar in Allston called Deep Ellum. It's at Brighton/Cambridge/N. Beacon intersection. The only knock on the place is its in Allston. This place was awesome. I'm assuming its on the new side, as I know it wasn't there when I lived there. Besides the great food, the beer list is incredible. They got everything. Some of the Belgians are pretty expensive and are only available in the 750mL bottle. I must've gone through the Unibroue list (La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Trois Pistoles, Don de Dieu). Actually, they had Blanche De Chamblay too but I didn't order that. Trois Pistoles was on tap, rest in 12 oz'ers. The waitress was really cool and made fun of pretentious hipsters who order "end of the worlds).

I probably should've ordered more stuff on tap. They had a ton of stuff. I was pretty bombed by the time I found the on tap list anyway, so I just settled for a Racer 5 IPA (incredible). But the list was very long.

Worth checking out. Probably a hipster madhouse on weekends, but we went on a Sunday and it had a decent crowd but nothing overwhelming.