Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Default 5/10nl.... sooooooooooo marginal.

Yuck. Comments on all streets please.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $930
Hero: $1243.20

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $20</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($40, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets $30</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($100, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets $60</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($220, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets $330</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $880
Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: 5/10nl.... sooooooooooo marginal.

well...oop with both around 50bb's you can play pf two ways
1 - as you did and surprise him with such a good hand when it hits or
2 - raise to $60 and CB 95% of flops

on the flop...are you getting freerolled? is you flush good? i check call also

turn may protect against AAxx and give you a low...i check call also

river...OVERBET??? 23 or Kflush??? doubt both, but 330 into 220..hmmm...at best you will split. h/u i probably call depending on the opponent...but you can rule out AAxx
Old 10-22-2007, 07:34 PM

i really really hate these situations, at least in the pot limit games i play i do exactly what u do, check call check call and pray that i dont get scoooped...Problem is that you scoop here, in my opinion(no stats basis for this) less then 5% of the time, i guess the question is do u get scooped more then 5% of the time....which at least in this case is not it. I have been considering (NOT DOING, considering) just laying it down on these flops, since theres so few ways your actually winning a big one here, but so many ways your losing a big one here.

I take you line, but i hate every moment of it, but the time you get to the river, i guesss without any special reads on player i call as u did... however i know that if i had something like a flush and a good low and was in villians position, i would also greatly overbet the river...since the way your played it, looks like u have a dencent low and perhaps a small flush or big two pair, thinking that i am at least three-quatering you and knowing you'll be forced to pay off.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 AM

unless you are going to raise at some point to try to get a fold just fold the flop. there is nothing for you to win by calling down.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 AM

anti, i've been thinking doing that myself as well, but do u really actually just flat fold that flop??
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Great hand to post! This is the type of hand where if I am thinking clearly, I fold on the turn. I think you should have taken the lead or played back before then, however.

Although I probably call the river bet far too often, (especially this month when it seems I am playing from behind far too often). But, this is definitely a situation where your head should be telling you you are calling "hoping" to get half, and more likely to get scooped than you are to scoop.

Out of curiousity, how would you rate your chances to get half, to scoop, or to get scooped?

Let's say you get half 70% get scooped 20%, and scoop 10%.
What does the math tell you to do here?

In my estimation, using those figures you come out way ahead. Like almost + $100. (By that, I mean you get your share of the money that you put in back) However, that is still a crappy position to be in, which is why you don't want to be there.

Also,what do you make of the fact that villian did not put you all-in?

So, I think what you need to ask yourself on a hand like this in NL is: 1) what are my chances to scoop at showdown; 2) How likely are those chances to improve or worsen along the way; and 3) What are the chances I can win this hand by betting.

The way I see it, 1) you are not much better than 50/50 to scoop on the flop, 2) you are unlikely to improve, AND therefore 3) the only profitable way for you to play the hand is to bet, or fold.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM

I don’t play this high…

I’m either calling or folding this flop. I think raising only folds worse hands so if I think villain will bet worse hands here then I call otherwise I fold because my hand is not likely to improve and the pot is small.

The turn change nothing and I’m calling here as well.

I don’t understand how the river can be a fold. If your hand enough value to call the flop and the turn then it’s certainly good enough to call the river. Nothing changed from the flop to the river other then the board didn’t pair. Am I missing something?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t play this high…

I’m either calling or folding this flop. I think raising only folds worse hands so if I think villain will bet worse hands here then I call otherwise I fold because my hand is not likely to improve and the pot is small.

The turn change nothing and I’m calling here as well.

I don’t understand how the river can be a fold. If your hand enough value to call the flop and the turn then it’s certainly good enough to call the river. Nothing changed from the flop to the river other then the board didn’t pair. Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize the high and low the split the pot, right?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM

a read would be helpful in this situation...

naturally, most HU NLO8 players are by default action players though.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you realize the high and low the split the pot, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thank you.

I also realize that if villain had a low that beat hero’s (turned low) he had it on the flop. Nothing changed. The only thing change throughout the hand was the bet sizes. Min preflop, ¾ flop, 2/3 turn and a river over bet.

The part that I’m having trouble with is if the flop and turn call were correct then how can folding the river be correct?