Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Final table fish?

I don't know why everyone has such a problem with Yang. Doesn't a fish simply limp, check, and overcall? Yang was dominating the table and getting it in with the best hand. Just because he called these holier than thou "professional" palyers bluffs when he had the best hand, that makes him a fish?

I've see pros like Gus Hanson and Allan Goehring make sick calls and suck-out after being way behind.

I'm sure when all these young internet whizzes hit the felt, all the old-timers were putting them down for the way they played. Now all you young internet whizzes are critizing Yang for the way he played.

Now Chris Moneymaker was lucky. That's the only way he won. But Yang dominated the final table. He kicked their butts. But I will admit, get him at a high-stakes cash game and he'll be eaten alive, just like Jamie Gold was last season on HSP. But let's give him his due for the way he played tournament poker.

Everyone should at least wait until we see his hole cards on the ESPN coverage before throwing Yang under the bus.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 AM

Yang was right to make the loose calls of the pushes. You can't run over the table if you fold in those situations.

As far as I could see Yang put on an awsome display. However, I agree he is not at the level of a top pro.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:07 AM

Assuming you could afford to stake someone for 5/10 NL, which players from the final table would you be comfortable staking 5/10 NL on Stars. I would probably only consider Lam, Kravchenko, Watkinson, or maybe Khan. I'm sure Watkinson and Khan have attempted similar stakes online, but I'm not sure how successful they were.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yang was right to make the loose calls of the pushes. You can't run over the table if you fold in those situations.

As far as I could see Yang put on an awsome display. However, I agree he is not at the level of a top pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's one thing if a dude like Rahme is raising then calling pushes with A9, but if you're gonna play as LAG as Yang is then you have to be willing to call some pushes with weaker hands or you'll get 3 bet to death. The J8 push from the BB was fine IMO, the JT call vs. Kravchenko may have been questionable, but overall you have to say Yang had a plan and executed it superbly at the final table. It was also mentioned that Yang had been very tight in the days leading up the FT which makes his performance even more brilliant.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you could afford to stake someone for 5/10 NL, which players from the final table would you be comfortable staking 5/10 NL on Stars. I would probably only consider Lam, Kravchenko, Watkinson, or maybe Khan. I'm sure Watkinson and Khan have attempted similar stakes online, but I'm not sure how successful they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you talking about cash games now, its a totally different skillset.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 AM

Hilm plays 50100 regular online.