Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Kids vs. Adults

"Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" - Suzuki Roshi

"It's as simple as something that nobody knows . . ." - Jack Johnson

It is easy! Thanks Slater see ya at the Max . . .
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM

I agree those things can be transcended as you say. The trick is (IMO) to not let yourself get sucked into the trap society is trying to set for you, ie. to subordinate yourself for the benefit of others (more than you would want to on your own). Is it any wonder the "others" are doing whatever they can to make you behave in ways that's good for them !? Of course not, but it's not that obvious and goes against much of what we're taught in schools. Becoming at peace with this concept and not feeling guilty about looking out for #1 is the key.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:46 AM

<font color="blue"> I guess I'm asking if innocence can be regained. </font>

I'm not sure if it's innocence lost, or experience that takes over. Did you know that the only creature on earth (as far as I know), that does NOT play during childhood is a reptile? Reptiles are born ready to survive. All other creatures NEED to play during childhood in order to gain the experience necessary to survive as an adult. So I'm not sure that you should want to regain that innocence. Life toughens us up for a reason.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Hopelessness is a suficient cause of depression. Kids ususlly have hope of a better life. Although, hopelessness is not the only cause of depression. I would think it would be more prevelant in adults than in children.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 PM

I have wonderfully happy kids and I have often wondered about this.

I have the belive I know the answer and it has to do with the pursuit of liberty according to Dostoevsky.

Please tell me what you guys think.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:54 PM

First, question your assumptions. Plenty of children get depressed: 1/33 according to the data I've read. Adolexcents and teens have the highest rate of depression: 1/8 or higher. Adults are around 1/10.

For kids, I think there are a few things going on:
1. Their personalities aren't fully developed till they're about 5 years old.
2. Depression in children wasn't medically recognized until about 20 years ago. It was assumed, like the OP assumed, that kids couldn't get depressed.
3. My personal opinion is that most depression is caused by social factors and that young children aren't as affected by these things because they haven't been entirely socialized.

You should ask why women are twice as likely to be depressed as men, instead.