Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Doomswitch? Part 1

I am posting some hands from the past 2 days first to vent my frustration and second to state my opinion that Pokerstars is rigged. I am sure I will be flamed and people will say I can’t beat poker and I don’t understand variance. I have poker tracker, and I have logged 140,000 hands; I am also a 6 figure winner in that time. I understand no amount of hand histories or ‘bad beats’ are proof. For me these hands in 2 days time is enough to throw up my hands and say something is wrong. Basically I think there is a point where they just don’t let you win anymore.

Good Luck

7 Card Stud High ($100/$200), Ante $15, Bring-In $30 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.60 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.30 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.30 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.30 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises

Total pot: (12.30 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $2460 | Rake $2

Hero: [Ac Ah 9d Qd 9s Qc 8d]

Seat 5: [As 4h 5h Qh Tc Js Kd] (a straight, Ten to Ace)

</font>

Unusual river bet of course but I thought there was some thin value from Big Q's up. And if he had hearts and hits it I should be protected from a raise by my board. Broadway was a cruel surprise.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Doomswitch? Part 1

[ QUOTE ]
I am posting some hands from the past 2 days first to vent my frustration and second to state my opinion that Pokerstars is rigged. I am sure I will be flamed and people will say I can’t beat poker and I don’t understand variance. I have poker tracker, and I have logged 140,000 hands; I am also a 6 figure winner in that time. I understand no amount of hand histories or ‘bad beats’ are proof. For me these hands in 2 days time is enough to throw up my hands and say something is wrong. Basically I think there is a point where they just don’t let you win anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever read The Poker Mindset? There's a quote at the top of the downswings chapter:

"Everybody will eventually run worse than they ever thought was possible. The difference between a winner and a loser is that the latter thinks they do not deserve it."--Craig Hartman

Not calling you a loser - but have you ever been on a great run? Did you think Stars was rigged so you could win or that you were a great poker player? Problem with bad downswings is, we start to doubt ourselves and our ability and that sucks so we look for someone to blame.

It's just getting caught in the algorithm. That can happen in B&amp;M games, too. Remember Negreanu on High Stakes losing a million bucks through the worst series of suck-outs and bad beats ever caught on camera?

We've all been there. I don't think Stars is rigged, been in that converstaion many times. I've been on bad runs and good, and mostly just successful grinding. When a seat is no good after four circuits of the table, I switch seats or tables. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Worst run I ever heard of lasted three months. The guy was a pro, too. Almost went bankrupt. Move down a level, switch games for some variety and know this too will pass.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 AM

What is the screen name of Seat 5? I am pretty sure I know who the villain in that hand was. Hands like this make me think Pokerstars is rigged, but like Mike Matusow says, "everybody is actually just that bad online". There's really no logic behind this hand at all, to call down past 5th.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 AM

Yeah. Better try your luck on Absolute.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 AM

This is another hand where you paired your door and played it like a big hand, so I don't think your hand can stand a raise on the river. Since many players will look you up with two pair (but never raise with it), I think the best river line is B/F, and that's not a line I think is best very often.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is another hand where you paired your door and played it like a big hand, so I don't think your hand can stand a raise on the river. Since many players will look you up with two pair (but never raise with it), I think the best river line is B/F, and that's not a line I think is best very often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm certainly not qualified to judge whether or not this is the best line of play for this particular hand. But, in general a B/F line on the river in stud games is very dangerous in large pots. Regardless of how donktastic the villain may have played the hand, high stakes players are at the very least observant of unusual plays. Once you start B/Fing, even the worst players may start raising you on the river with all manner of hands.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the screen name of Seat 5? I am pretty sure I know who the villain in that hand was. Hands like this make me think Pokerstars is rigged, but like Mike Matusow says, "everybody is actually just that bad online". There's really no logic behind this hand at all, to call down past 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you know who seat 5 was were you in this game also?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm certainly not qualified to judge whether or not this is the best line of play for this particular hand. But, in general a B/F line on the river in stud games is very dangerous in large pots. Regardless of how donktastic the villain may have played the hand, high stakes players are at the very least observant of unusual plays. Once you start B/Fing, even the worst players may start raising you on the river with all manner of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I don't think it's a line you should embrace in many situations. In this particular case, hero's actual hand can beat any two-pair Sheriff's hand but nothing better. It has also been played in a way that should give opponent the idea that hero has either trip nines minimum or a bare pare of Nines/small two-pair he's been semi-bluffing with, and any raise villain makes is expecting to get called.

Bet/Fold is probably only ever appropriate in this case: Over-represented Aces-up out of position. Anything else and there's probably a better way to play it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I don't think it's a line you should embrace in many situations. In this particular case, hero's actual hand can beat any two-pair Sheriff's hand but nothing better. It has also been played in a way that should give opponent the idea that hero has either trip nines minimum or a bare pare of Nines/small two-pair he's been semi-bluffing with, and any raise villain makes is expecting to get called.

Bet/Fold is probably only ever appropriate in this case: Over-represented Aces-up out of position. Anything else and there's probably a better way to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't hero showing (xx)9Q9Q tho? Vs. villain's board, there are precious few hands that he can have to beat hero's board but lose to his actual hand. Seems like in this case the "fold" part isn't as problematic as the "bet" part.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Sorry, I didn't recall the double-paired board when I replied earlier. My post looks kind of stupid as a result, but I still think bet/fold is good precisely because Hero's board is so strong that a raise means he's beat, but it's not quite as strong as his actual hand.

We're really only betting for the case that villain has two pair with the other AA under, the case Queen or pocket Kings, all of which are viable hands given the exact manner the hand played out, but may not bet the river if checked-to.