Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: interest in a video? NLCASH

Very good video, thanks for posting this. As a newbie to the HU games, I have two questions:
a) is opening 4BB OOP/from BB and 3BB IP/from SB standard? Seems to bloat the pot OOP, doesn't it?
b) I read HOH2's HU section and it suggested limping from the SB if the opponent doesn't raise you much because 1) you will have position 2) no hand is more than a 1:x dog against a random hand. I take it that standard here is to raise so you can take it down preflop and for disguise, right?
Old 07-21-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks Jsnipes, excellent video. I agree with everything you did there, AA-hand included. I also think it was very interesting what you said about pushing on the turn instead of the river. Very smart play.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good video, thanks for posting this. As a newbie to the HU games, I have two questions:
a) is opening 4BB OOP/from BB and 3BB IP/from SB standard? Seems to bloat the pot OOP, doesn't it?
b) I read HOH2's HU section and it suggested limping from the SB if the opponent doesn't raise you much because 1) you will have position 2) no hand is more than a 1:x dog against a random hand. I take it that standard here is to raise so you can take it down preflop and for disguise, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

OOP you kinda have to find a balance between inflating pots and giving him super good odds to play in position. It also depends on his limping range as to how often you are raising, and with what, and to what amount.

Like if he is hardly ever limping, I would usually raise 4, 4.5bb w/ almost ATC bc he will likely fold. As he starts to limp more, he's probably going to be limping wider range (and probably some decent hands in it) and you want to punish him w/ ur good hands by making it more expensive for him as well.

IP, 3xbb is prety standard and since you have control and position it's easier to manipulate the size of the pot.

Limping the button is just absolutely terrible. I've never read HOH, nor do I play a lot of tourneys, but it's just not good. On second thought, I can see how it would apply, if you are playing a 20bb stack, raise/folding T9s sucks a lot, so if he will let you limp then it is good to do so. So ya, i guess that makes sense against some shortstacks, but it is definitely not something you want to do on a regular basis. If you're playing passive shorties, or someone on mega-tilt who is 3betting every hand or pounding every limp (and you could trap or something) i guess it would be ok.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM

jsnipes,

excellent video, thank you very much.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:30 AM

is it still up. that page woudlnt load for me?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Hey thanks a lot for the video jnsipes! We all greatly appreciate it!

This video has helped me a lot with my HU game. What I find though, is that this style of play seems to only work well against passive players, which are not too common to see at the HU tables and overly aggressive player, which requires an adjustment but its a fairly simple adjustment. There are a lot of other players that seem to play the exact same way as jsnipes suggests to play in his video.

What I think would help all of us here even further is to see a video of someone playing AGAINST a player like jsnipes, or jsnipes playing against a player that uses his same style.

I try to adjust my game accordingly but I find myself either getting too aggressive and get trapped or too passive and get run over. I am just having a real hard time finding that middle ground against these other good players.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome too.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Someone get this guy a gig at Cardrunner's.. they really need a guy dedicated to HU videos there, as those videos are too few and far between.

Excellent job, thanks for doing this.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks a bunch jsnipes, this is great.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm having serious trouble playing this video. I installed the codec, but it worked once, then didn't work the next time. I also tried VLC, and only got the audio.

One possibility is uploading it to a place like http://pokertube.com/

I would be willing to try and get it up there if jsnipes thinks it's OK.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm a little behind spotting this. Fantastic video jsnipes. Thanks again.

Mike