Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: College Parking Lots

UC Berkeley has parking lots marked "NL". Reserved for Nobel Laureates. Apparently one of the more coveted perks of winning...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UC Berkeley has parking lots marked "NL". Reserved for Nobel Laureates. Apparently one of the more coveted perks of winning...

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like an urban legend, but actually true
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a parking lot right outside of my apartment. I pay to park here.

I've had 2 people pull out and hit my car as they were trying to back and turn at the same time.

I have a 04 Saturn ION, which is still in really good shape. About 37k miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I pay too. Blows bro . . .

Sorry to hear that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for all schools, but while both schools I've gone to ticketed, they'd never take the next step and try to find the person through DMV records. You were only screwed if you had ever bought a parking pass (i.e., registered your car with the school). Then they'd tack it on to your account. My girlfriend lived in a school apartment for a year, used the apartment's garage for the year, got about 10 tickets, and never paid a dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be wary of this friends. I've had friends do this and end up with a boot on their car.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be wary of this friends. I've had friends do this and end up with a boot on their car.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of boot? Did the friend get to keep the boot?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a parking lot right outside of my apartment. I pay to park here.

I've had 2 people pull out and hit my car as they were trying to back and turn at the same time.

I have a 04 Saturn ION, which is still in really good shape. About 37k miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I pay too. Blows bro . . .

Sorry to hear that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for all schools, but while both schools I've gone to ticketed, they'd never take the next step and try to find the person through DMV records. You were only screwed if you had ever bought a parking pass (i.e., registered your car with the school). Then they'd tack it on to your account. My girlfriend lived in a school apartment for a year, used the apartment's garage for the year, got about 10 tickets, and never paid a dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents came and visited me and got a ticket, and they put a copy of the ticket in my mailbox even though I had never registered the car.

This resulted in a big argument with me telling them to blow me if they thought I was paying my parents ticket. Then they told me they'd just add it to my bill for my parents to pay. So I told them it was my tuition bill, not my parents. Then they tried to say that since they were my guests, I was responsible. Then I told them that my parents had come to buy stuff in the school store and I only saw them coincidentally. They eventually gave up.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 AM

theres never enough parking spots for students but too many spots for faculty and staff at my school.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM

something i wrote about kent state city towing...somewhat relevant...

note: long

those [censored] would be doin' creepmoves in the middle of the night and [censored]...

they towed my car out of a visitor's parking one time...and it had been [censored] parked there for a MONTH! right when i got my new car, i still had the old one and nowhere to really put it, so it just chilled in a visitor's parking space. one night they towed it, and they [censored] said that it was in a different spot than where it was!

i bitched at the apartment manager and she had them give it back to me for free...i went down there and let those [censored] have it, too...

i can't even tell you how many times my friends' cars would get towed in college...10 or 12 or 15 times...they were [censored] pricks about it too...

--one time, i watched from a 3rd floor balcony as they were hooking this car up in the middle of the night...eventually, the person whose car it was found out, and raced outside, to find them hurrying as fast as they could to get it up. (yeah, i sat there stoned watching them hook this kid's car up and didn't go inside and tell him!) they only had his car halfway up...they told him they'd take it down for $60 cash right then, or else he'd have to come down to the yard and get it and pay $70...filthy [censored] wouldn't even give him a [censored] better deal!!

--another time, my boy had just walked into my apartment. i told him to go downstairs and put a visitor's tag on his car so it wouldn't get towed (he knew the deal on city towing), and he said...'naw, i turned my front tires almost completely sideways, there's no WAY they could tow it down the road...' anyhow, we forgot smoking blunts and playing mariokart...he eventually looked off the balcony, and his car was gone...we called, and those [censored] towed it. it must've taken both lanes on the road...

when we went down there, my dude was pissed...they kept antagonizing him (that's not me playing favorites, it was them staying behind the glass window and laughing and pointing at him)...eventually, they got on some, 'we'll call the cops unless you give us our money' talk...he didn't pay it...4 days later he gave in, and they charged him $110, 70 for the towing, and 10 dollars per day...

not to say we didn't fight back...

i stood next to my buddy when he threw a completely full bag of garbage from the 7TH FLOOR BALCONY of our apartment onto a moving city tow truck's HOOD! BLAOW!! cops came, but we had the lights off or whatever, and they didn't know where it came from...lucky they didn't go through the garbage bag i guess!

another time, we were at this huge condo complex...we saw them creeping around the parking lot, and hid behind garages and threw full plastic cups of chocolate pudding at their truck! (haha, college [censored])

these [censored] were nasty though. it could be 100 open spots in a 110 spot parking lot, and if you didn't have a tag, they'd get you. and would never cut you a break on the $10 a day sitting fee, either...broke college kids might not be able to afford 70 bucks, but yet they're still tacking 10 bucks a day on...

so many more stories, too...

--the time a city towing guy laid down (this actually happened) behind a kid's car tire, because he was trying to back out real quick before they got his car up on the truck...started as an argument, but as soon as the kid realized that as he was arguing with one guy, the other one was silently hooking his car up to be towed, he jumped in the car, and tried to back up, but saw the guy literally screaming and laying down saying, 'don't do it, there's a video camera in the truck!!'

--my buddy once locked his keys in the car, while it was running, and WITH the stereo on 8/10 with 4 alpine 15's in the trunk, at 2am. trust me, i couldn't make that up if i tried, his name is jimmy beach. anyway, we called the cops drunk, begging them to come break it open. a tow truck came before that, and it took every argumentative word we had to get them to not tow it, that a cop was coming. even when the cop came, those [censored] OFFERED TO TOW IT ANYWAY to the cop, and he just laughed and left...

--i once went with a friend at 3 or 4am on halloween night to get his car back. halloween night in kent is crazy...20,000 people (newspaper estimate) go downtown to the bars dressed up like bongs and 20-legged cows to get drunk. anyway, we get there, and there's literally 50 cars sitting in the lot. we go in, and there's 7 or 8 guys there, drinking from a keg behind the glass window in their workroom...didn't offer us a beer, but they still charged my friend $70.
honestly, it's a money maker. the lots around town are too small. even the people that live there end up parking 500 feet away. the visitor's lots are always completely full, so, with nothing besides parking at the football stadium, and catching several buses to get where you're going, people park in other spots, and 5 minutes later, they owe $70 dollars. i mean, no where else have i ever experienced having to plan my night based on where i'm going to park. going to a friend's house meant checking out the window every 15 minutes.

anyway, city towing of kent, ohio...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 AM

tl;dr

cliff notes??
Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tl;dr

cliff notes??

[/ QUOTE ]
Taking vengeance a little too far.