Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: getting discouraged

I can relate to this; I play microstakes (.1/.2c) on Ultimate Bet. I play well rolled vs. my stakes; I just recently deposited for 30$ and now have 50$. It's not that I don't think I'm doing well because of my results but because I have been with this roll seemingly stuck for the past couple of days. I don't feel like my game is progressing or that I have much edge. I play a TAG style and generally do okay with not too many bad beats etc. I just can't seem to progress as fast as I wish which is what I think I should be doing playing such soft games. Anyone who plays similar stakes/style that has experienced the same thing would be great to hear from.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:20 AM

omfg
1c/2c
you are maniac
really; your are crazy guy
good luck

p.s. btw your game wouldn't ever progressed at this level. it may came from the PLO10 AT LEAST. i cant even say thet there is *too many* donks on lower levels, because there are just all of donks
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 AM

i think you may struggle at this level as i have heard the rake is horrendus - something like 10%

im only quoting second hand info here so check it out on the site
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Chieftain, I started at NL5 last November without having much clue. IMHO had I not ran well I wouldn't have progressed much due to rake. Rake really kills on that level.

So assuming you read this forum and have somewhat of a clue I'd look into depositing more and trying PLO25.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 PM

i played a long session of .5/1$ 6max yesterday; over two hours i was down 500$; and could feel the frustration in my stomach building.

I took a ten minute tea break to assess how i'd played; and realised i'd literally done nothing wrong (the odd call on the river when a middele pin hit etc where i couldnt give my opponent credit for the hand they were representing)

all in all i'd played solid poker but couldnt win the big pots

I was actually delighted with my play as i hadn't tilted at all.

I wish i could finish it with a 1k upswing; but i managed to salvage $300 over the next session....

The point; i think; is that massive downswings, and im talking about both in a single two hour session and over 10k hands, is part and parcel of omaha;

The test of a poker player is the downswings; in this game you have no one to ensure you're playing to your peak

self discipline; seen in this respect; isnt just about game selection and position and the occaisional situational bluff; its about keeping yout chin up... acknowledging when you are playing well or badly... respecting the fact that every new hand helps you learn and improve etc etc

Don't be disheartened, keep getting your money in as a favourite.

At least thats what i tell myself!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 PM

I click #UNREAD and I have no recollection of what the thread is about so I'm pissed off I can't remember the whole thread. Then I read the whole thread and I wish I hadn't.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I suppose I will just read more and attempt to build an edge along with practicing with the small roll/stakes as are current until I either build enough to move up or end up busting. Either way no matter what happens I think I will eventually deposit a bit more in order to move up to at least PL10. Thanks again for the responses.