Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose what best describes your views on loaning money?
I was fooled by Air Americas hype of their success. 2 6.25%
I knew these guys were losers from day 1. 30 93.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: PokerTracker: The Next Generation (NEW SOFTWARE DISCUSSION)

[ QUOTE ]
This I lived with only because I had no other choice. Now you have competition and all other things being equal I will easily choose the program that does not pose a potential security threat. You're only hurting yourselves by doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being entirely ridiculous with your demands. Exactly what are you afraid of? You've been trusting PT and PA HUD to run executable code on your computer for years (which is pretty much the scariest thing you can let a piece of software do as far as security risks go) but GOD FORBID THEY CONNECT TO THE INTERWEBZ?!?! Go make a tin-foil hat to put on while you're at it.

EDIT: Wow, your response in the HM thread:

[ QUOTE ]
I've downloaded your beta twice yet haven't worked up the nerve to install it. Admittedly, I was planning on upgrading to PT3 mainly because I was used to using PT, figured the learning curve on PT3 wouldn't be as steep, and some of the XML related things I've been reading here have been making my head spin. However, if you are going to implement a reasonable copy protection scheme that doesn't involve secretive transmissions over the Internet, consider me one of your new users.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you appear to know nothing about computers, take it from a software engineer: You have nothing to worry about. Stop reading articles that capitalize on the lack of knowledge of people like you that make it sound like YOUR IDENTITY IS BEING DISSEMINATED TO ANY INTERESTED PARTY ON THE INTERWEBZ!@%r!!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:40 PM

will support for PT2 die after PT3 comes out ...
Old 11-23-2007, 04:01 PM

I'm going to end this whole argument by saying we will have a system where you can be registered without PT3 connecting to the internet. HOWEVER, you will get two installs this way. After those two installs, you will need to purchase again.

An example. You buy PT3 and don't want it to connect to the registration server. You get your code (that's one). A month later, you format your computer and get another code (that's two). The next time you need to register, you will have to purchase another copy.

The reason for this is that we have no way of knowing that you didn't just install PT3 on two computers and are looking to install it on a third. The reg-server method lets us monitor this kind of thing. Therefore, the reg-server method means you can format your computer as many times as you wish on one purchase.

Therefore, people who are overly concerned about PT3 connecting to the internet get what they want, but at an added cost, due to the lack of security on our end.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
will support for PT2 die after PT3 comes out ...

[/ QUOTE ]

PT2 will continued to be supported for a while after PT3 is released.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Goofyballer, please shut up.

AP10, I realize you've been in the business for a while and yes that means to some extent we can trust you. You must realize that it has been an act of faith on our part. Even a smart guy like goofyballer must realize that you *could* have programmed something to transmit our username and password info at any time and dumb non-engineers like me would have never noticed. Consider how long it took before rbcalc was discovered. It would be one thing if it were necessary to connect to the Internet in order to run Pokertracker or the HUD. Since it's not, it's an unnecessary security risk.

The original Pokertracker model of unique id codes seems to have worked so why change it? Just the frequency of updates due to poker site changes is enough to make it so that anyone serious about poker needs to have a current and legitimate copy of Pokertracker. Anyone pirating Pokertracker is most likely someone who never would have purchased it in the first place.

Edit: Written before PokerAce's response. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason for this is that we have no way of knowing that you didn't just install PT3 on two computers and are looking to install it on a third. The reg-server method lets us monitor this kind of thing. Therefore, the reg-server method means you can format your computer as many times as you wish on one purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean that you only get to have one copy installed on one computer at a time? For example, is it possible to buy PT3, install on my home and work computers, get a new work computer (every 18 months), and then re-install on my new work computer?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 PM

The way I understood PokerAce's reply, no, because if you don't want to connect to the reg server then they have no way of knowing that you don't still use PT3 on your old computer.

I certainly understand the need for this; I've probably requested about 6-7 different PT2 reg codes because of the two new computers and numerous reformats I've made in the three years I've owned PT, and it's certainly natural for someone who worked hard on this software to get suspicious that people are distributing it to friends or whatever when they request 20 reg codes. It makes sense to me that if the tin-foil-hat people really don't want to connect to the reg server then they're not gonna be able to request new reg codes until the end of time.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that you only get to have one copy installed on one computer at a time? For example, is it possible to buy PT3, install on my home and work computers, get a new work computer (every 18 months), and then re-install on my new work computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are using the registration server method (PT3 connecting to the server), you can do what you are asking without charge. If you decide to use the non-registration server method, you would have to pay for a new license after you got your new computer.

Either method you are allowed to use it on two computers.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will we have the ability to save/backup our custom querries for custom stats? Having to re-create our custom stats would suck if they were complicated and numerous.

I'm talking about like saving our customs to a file so we can import into PT3 on our other computer, or if we have a disk failure and need to reinstall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Yes, custom reports and stats will be exportable.