Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 AM

Default From TAG to LAG - Adjustments

Hi Everyone
I am a solid winner at Primas 2,5/5 tables and my stats is something like 22/16/2.2, sometimes slightly less, sometimes slightly more. To you who arent familiar with Primas midstakes I can tell you that there are a lot of weaktight players and therefore it obviously would be more effective to try to apply the 2+2 style [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], with stats around maybe 27/20/4 or something like that to get an even bigger edge over the weak opponents.

I started to think about it a few days ago when I had a very aggressive opponent to my right that were constantly 3-betting my preflopraises and I were forced to make difficult decisions OOP, and I were not very comfortable with it, because i´m not playing those kind of players often at all. I KNOW that the majority of the winning players at these stakes on Prima are a lot weaker than I am and I think that a Loose/Aggressive style would make me win a lot if I can use it correct.

Anyway, I have some questions and I hope I can get them answered.

If we go back to the player I talked about a few sentences earlier that constantly were 3-betting me preflop when he had position, How do you respond to these 3-bets? Am I just going to fold my weak holdings, make loose calls or start 4-betting a wider range of hands? And If you 4 bet a weak holding, Do you consider CB or are you just going to give up the hand when you miss the flop? I understand that this has a lot do to with reads but a general discussion would be appreciated.

I have heard from a lot of good LAGs that they very seldom folds to a 3-bets preflop, especially in position. Does this even include the biggest trashhands like 9-3, 6-2 and stuff like that(I suppose you raise these hands from LP first into the pot). When you play tight players, I suppose you avoid taking flops with marginal holdings, no? Hands I think of is f.e. KJ, QJ, AT or are you going to the flop, hoping to outplay them and keep your image?

Something that I have thought a lot about is how the size of the PFRRs and CBs are affected by what style you play. Do LAG players usually RR smaller or bigger. For example, In a 2,5/5 game when someone raises to 20, My standard reraiseamount is something between 60-70. When I reraise more hands, Is it important to raise to about 80, or can I instead raise to about 50-55.

And from my experience the size of the CBs in reraised pots can be significantly smaller than when the pot isnt 3-betted preflop, Do you agree? It feels like I often can take down the pot with a halvpotbet after I reraised preflop but maybe it is better to just pot it? Are you using bigger CBs OOP than IP?

There can be a lot of things to discuss. For example, Betting without outs, 3-barreling etc etc.

I understand if you dont want to share everything but it would be interesting to hear from players that have went from TAG to LAG, positive and negative things about it.

You get what I mean [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

SHOOT!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Re: From TAG to LAG - Adjustments

without giving any specific advice, because i think half the battle with changing your style is learning it through experience, this is whats up:

always, to beat your opponents you just have to play against their weaknesses. If you're against dudes who are calling too many raises preflop, but folding too much on the flop, then you should raise more hands preflop and c-bet often, obviously.

the hands you choose to do that with come as a function of other important fundamentals like implied odds, position, and likely equity against his calling ranges.

postflop play develops out of preflop play, so if you play the same postflop as you do now then you'll have more exploitable weaknesses of your own. again, think about how your style will capitalize on their weaknesses, and adjust your percentages of trapping, multi-barreling, checkraising on later streets, etc.

Basically, continue to attack them when they're weak, and set them up to play back at the wrong time. Once you own them once like that, they'll tilt and play worse.