Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Milt Romney.....

A while ago there was a thread here in Politics about him...

Thought I'd share some further info from today's Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...tal_hospitals/
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Milt Romney.....

The Democrats must be afraid of this Romney guy.

From what I've heard, he is the governor who formed some sort of universal health care coverage, a killer strong issue in a general election for a Republican to have with him.

It looks like the bureaucrats at the mental hospitals are trying to set him up. The typical, "if we don't get all the budget moneys we want we will shut down the system and blame it on you" blackmail deal. Like the Feds shutting down the National Parks when there is a budget showdown.

I'll have to look at Romney more closely. Between Gingrich practically endorsing him this weekend on some Sunday talk show, and the way Democrats are afraid of him, there must be something there.

I'd never expect anything good out of Massachusetts, but you never know.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he is the governor who formed some sort of universal health care coverage

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good thing in your eyes? EXCELLENT!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 AM

3 posts, 1 by BGC, 1 by Eliot. Yep, this thread is about to suck.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM

Elliot,

I dont think BGC meant what you said and I think you know that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] He was simply pointing out that this is an area where Dems like to take Repubs to task, and they cant do that with Romney (depending of course what stance he would take on a federal system).

Myrtle,

I like Romney. A lot of Repubs are kind of holding their breath on him, waiting to get a read on whether his Mormonism is a plus or a minus with the fundamentalist crowd. If it turns how he has pull with them, he is a very strong candidate indeed.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 AM

That's a good point Vulture. I personally have no idea who the Religious Right is going to support from among the major GOP candidates. All of the candidates I've heard about (McCain, Giuliani and Romney) don't exactly have stellar conservative credentials. None of them have won the right's heart like Bush did. The last time we had an '08 thread, most prominent candidate mentioned with conservative credentials was Gingirch, and he's not going to be nominated.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Myrtle,

I like Romney. A lot of Repubs are kind of holding their breath on him, waiting to get a read on whether his Mormonism is a plus or a minus with the fundamentalist crowd. If it turns how he has pull with them, he is a very strong candidate indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

A mormon will never get elected in the Republican primaries IMO. That's worse than being Jewish to the fundamenlists.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Myrtle,

[/ QUOTE ]

A mormon will never get elected in the Republican primaries IMO. That's worse than being Jewish to the fundamenlists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not so sure about that. Absent another nominee who fills the bill as a true social conservative, Romney starts looking really good. He has a lot of other plusses as well. I think he is slowly creeping up from dark horse status.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Myrtle,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not so sure about that. Absent another nominee who fills the bill as a true social conservative, Romney starts looking really good. He has a lot of other plusses as well. I think he is slowly creeping up from dark horse status.

[/ QUOTE ]

The poll numbers disagree with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Forty-three percent (43%) of American voters say they would never even consider voting for a Mormon Presidential candidate. Only 38% say they would consider casting such a vote while 19% are not sure (see crosstabs). Half (53%) of all Evangelical Christians say that they would not consider voting for a Mormon candidate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Thats right now, in a vacuum where the field is still large. Once the dust settles, if Romney emerges as the only "true" social conservative, Id expect to see a change of heart. People are usually pragmatists after all. This is just idle speculation on my part, but I think it is a reasonable theory.