Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 PM

Default AFI\'s top 100.........

I just finished watching a show on Bravo called "The American Film Institutes Most Inspiring Films of All Time".

It was well done & enjoyable.

I googled it, and found their website, which I had never been to before.

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/cheers.aspx

I thought I'd share it with all, as the site has many more 'top 100' lists, and is a good take for anyone who enjoys film.

Enjoy.....
Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 AM

Default Re: AFI\'s top 100.........

the AFI lists are largely regarded as a bit of a joke.

they only include American films and...let's just say I doubt they put a lot of thought into the actual rankings.

go here instead

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1...nking1-100.htm
Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 AM

pryor, what are your thoughts on that TSPDT 250 of the 00s list. For me, it isn't nearly as strong as the 1000 of all time and there are a lot more holes in it

edit: I should at least Link the list if i'm gonna say something about it
Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pryor, what are your thoughts on that TSPDT 250 of the 00s list. For me, it isn't nearly as strong as the 1000 of all time and there are a lot more holes in it

edit: I should at least Link the list if i'm gonna say something about it

[/ QUOTE ]

it isn't, of course, but if you look at their methodology, it makes since.

they're working from a smaller pool of lists and critical evaluations and whatnot, so the sample size is more of an issue.

plus, you know, there's the problem where some of the films just haven't been around long enough to survive the ravages of time, such as it is.

that's my theory, at least.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 AM

i agree with that a bit, but i look at that list and think, wtf. How does chicago get rated anywhere close to where it gets rated, while a film like the downfall doesn't make it. I also have to strongly wonder what were they thinking by putting City of God, Amalie, Nobody knows, and memories of murder where they were as it just shocks me that a film like Amalie isn't in the top ten. I could forgive if it was in the top 20, but in teh 50s? I know that it hasn't had the benefit of time, but there are some serious questions for me with this list. Really, I think that they might've thrown this list together to create controversy and get people talking more then trying to come up with a very representative list of the decade so far(which is obviously working by me making this post)
Old 11-15-2006, 01:21 AM

well, i know since there aren't as many lists to choose from, they have to give more weight to awards (i.e. Chicago) and stuff like Metacritic scores (Amelie had a 69, thanks to some poor initial reviews...go figure)

i doubt they're going for controversy, since I'm pretty sure they're just using a formula and with the scope of what they're doing, i can't imagine they'd have either the time or the energy to change it just for that.

the thing is, it's always tough to rank stuff that's still only 15 years old or so.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the AFI lists are largely regarded as a bit of a joke.

they only include American films and...let's just say I doubt they put a lot of thought into the actual rankings.

go here instead

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1...nking1-100.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Much for expanding my horizons! (seriously).

I did take it for granted that they were speaking only about "American" films, though.

I certainly disagree with some of their inclusions and ranking, but consider the list good food for discussion, which is why I posted it.

I haven't spent serious time looking at your linked list as of yet, but just from skimming the first few selections, I would say it is much more realistic than the AFI's.

Thanks again....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is, it's always tough to rank stuff that's still only 15 years old or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

...It seems to me that the 'test of time' is the great equalizer when it comes to these things, and therefore quality films of recent vintage will inevitably suffer because of it?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they only include American films

[/ QUOTE ]

Well???? The "A" in AFI does stand for American.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...It seems to me that the 'test of time' is the great equalizer when it comes to these things, and therefore quality films of recent vintage will inevitably suffer because of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but there are hundreds of films that in the year after they're released people are clamoring for them to be all-time greats, but are subsequently forgotton 20 years later. that's why it's hard to take seriously the "OMG, there are no new movies on there" cry, becuase it's usually just because those movies are fresh in people's memories