Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Nice job of modding........

We post & bitch when we don't like the action a mod has taken.

I'd like to congratulate iron81 for the manner in which he has just dealt with a post in the politics forum.

He saw a post that might contain a link to a 'hate sight'.

He removed the post to the mods forum for further investigation/discussion with other mods.

He posted a notice in the Politics Forum of his actions.

The post was then returned to the Politics Forum with an explanation of what he found.

Good process.....Good Job.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Nice job of modding........

Care to share which post you are talking about?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Care to share which post you are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM

I agree, and I don't think there was a better way to handle it.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM

I have no clue how someone can read a thread like that and not get a massive migraine headache and want to drink whiskey straight from the bottle. It seems every contentious politics thread is the same 3-4 posters bashing each other over the head with incredibly long-winded posts. My hat is off to iron and the other mods for wading through all that just to keep order.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We post & bitch when we don't like the action a mod has taken.
I'd like to congratulate iron81 for the manner in which he has just dealt with a post in the politics forum.

He saw a post that might contain a link to a 'hate sight'.

He removed the post to the mods forum for further investigation/discussion with other mods.

He posted a notice in the Politics Forum of his actions.

The post was then returned to the Politics Forum with an explanation of what he found.

Good process.....Good Job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do the bitching and whining. I don't feel that moving the entire thread was necessary. He could have simply posted a link to it in the mod forum and asked for discussion, if necessary removing the link in question at least temporarily. Removing the whole thread because of one link seemed like overkill to me.

Also, distasteful and clearly anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant as I found the site linked to, I don't really follow what made anyone think it was a neo-Nazi blog. What am I missing? It should't be possible to get whole threads removed just by making an accusation. (I'm sure MB had zero intention of getting the thread moved or closed but the likes of BCG could easily abuse this as part of their derailing tactics.)
Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM

1. I would like to give myself some kind of award for the first ATF thread started to complement a mod. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Myrtle.

2. If my only concern were the link, I would have likely just deleted the link, possibly in consultation with other mods. That thread had my mod senses tingling even before that because of the allegations of a raping spree in Europe among Muslims. Frankly, the other mods had to rein me in a little, because the allegation looked like a lot of bigoted BS to me. However, the PM's I received and the Mod forum thread inspired me to move it back unedited with the argument that best way to fight darkness is sunlight.

3. This wouldn't have mattered if the links or posts were designed to inspire hatred. Mason made it abundantly clear during the Cyrus debacle that those posts are not permitted. For those of you not familiar with the situation, Mason's impression that the Politics forum was a cesspool of hatred was the primary reason that Politcs was shut down. Fortunately, at least one mod was familiar with the blogger's work and reassured me that he was not a Neo-Nazi. The other mods said that they did not believe the posts in that thread were hate speech, so I sent it back.

4. While no one was guilty in that thread, I'll say this while I'm here: Ignorance is not a defense to making hateful posts or linking to hateful sites. Bans are going to be handed down if I catch anyone doing either, whether or not you realize your post or the site you linked to is hateful. I say this both because I believe it is the right thing to do and because I want to keep Mason off our backs.

5. The reason I was concerned with the raping spree allegation outside of the link was that it is a common tactic among bigots to stereotype and make wild allegations about minorities. I felt that the allegation that Muslims are going on a raping spree was equivalent to allegations that Jews secretly control the world. The other mods disagreed, so I dropped it.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 PM

The problem is that you have demonstrated such poor judgement, that you can't be relied on to make a proper judgement in the future. You said that at first glance the norwegian blog I linked to was neo-nazi as Mickey/Cyrus lied it was. When I proved later that if anything it was pro-Jewish and thus could not possibly have been neo-nazi. And note that even Mickey/Cyrus didn't come back and try to defend his lie.

So all you have demonstrated is a propensity to apply a very liberal and "politically correct" bias to any sources of someone whose views you don't like, and a bias that is very significant as you called a pro-Jewish site "neo-nazi"

In short, your judgement is very flawed and you likely, despite your honest good intentions, are a very poor mod for the politics forum, especially in light of your repeatedly demonstrated shortcomings in the logical analysis department.

And I will note again that the very worst element of your poor judgement was thinking that the unproved assertion of a poster who has been banned for dishonest debating in the past by the site owner, merited serious consideration without first checking the facts of same thoroughly. But as I also said in that thread, a PM you sent me prior to becomming a mod proves a pro Cyrus/Mickey bias as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:01 PM

...and thus we see why Politics (in general, not just the forum)...SUCK.

God you guys are anal.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the allegation looked like a lot of bigoted BS to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were right about this, although I agree that it's better to let it remain so that people can discuss it. I still think moving the whole thread was heavy handed, but whatever, it's back now.

Seriously, though, fomenting hatred against Muslims is never going to get politics shut down. It's being going on for years on that forum and noone from on high has ever said boo about it. The forum was shut down because of high feelings over the Lebanon war.