Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Tried to steal...flopped a monster...screwed it up?

I'd def lead this flop after raising pre. The only question should be for how much. If MP2 is aggro and/or plays his draws strongly, i'd prob make a weak c-bet for 5500. If he's the type to just call with a draw, i'd bet 7500. Checking the flop is a big mistake here given the action pre.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:36 AM

I agree that check raising generally indicates more strength than just betting. I regretted doing it afterwards. I think I probably should have just led out on the flop.

Someone else said check-call the flop and check-call the turn as long as another club doesn't come. I think that's a fair suggestion. I feel my hand is strong enough to slowplay it like that. Then I could probably just shove the river.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:42 AM

I think leading out is also a decent play and on second thought, perhaps the better one. A hand like a small pair or even just an ace may be tempted to call you down. You mentioned that he had limped into a lot of pots...this could either indicate a calling station or someone who thinks he can outplay anyone after the flop. Was there any indication of what kind of post-flop player he was from all those other limped hands?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd lead the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or check call check raise
Old 11-22-2007, 09:06 AM

You were the preflop raiser, so just cbet the flop.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd lead the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost always. Except maybe not with these stacks. We have 20k left to play on the flop and pot is 10k. Any decent size bet 1/2 3/4 or pot sized bet almost commits us and our opponent sees that too. I think check/call here isn't so bad if you wanna gamble and give him a card or two (you're not going to donk the turn so if he checks behind on the turn...it's 2).

So what gets more of his money in? Probably a check/call and pray he bets the turn.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Let's look at this from villain's point of view. You reraise, so you probably have AQ+, 99+, but could have whatever like you do. He flat called, so he probably doesn't have AA-JJ or AK, but he does not decent high cards or a pp.

The flop comes low and paired. If he doesn't have a pp, he doesn't like this, because you probably have an overpair or AK. You check, he minbets to probe whether you are checking a big hand. You checkraise. He puts you on QQ-AA and folds.

I would just cbet this. If you slowplay, what are you representing by slowplaying? Preflop, you are representing JJ+, AK with the reraise. You should like this flop with those hands and want to get the money in.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 PM

I think you make a mistake preflop by raising to t$4000, on the grounds that against a half decent player you're probably not taking this down without a stronger raise - you give him very good odds to call.

I'm not sure I see the merit in check-calling. I'm fairly sure this is one of those situations where you're unlikely to extract a great deal of value unless you lead out the flop. Because his likely range is so wide, he may well have flopped the sort of hand he is likely to call along with - top pair, straight draw, FD, 66 etc. You might get lucky and find him re-raising with 88 or something like that. The other advantage of leading the flop is that, depending on your image, this looks like the sort of flop you'll have missed most of the time, and he might raise you - though that's unlikely given the fact that he'll pot commit himself in so doing.

As played, I hate the check-raise. As a means of getting chips in the pot it's awful because there's almost no holding that villain will minbet and then either call or shove over a check-raise. So after you check, calling is probably correct, on the grounds that it might encourage him to bluff later streets. I do agree with your final assessment that he has nothing and can't play further - but his weak flop lead should give you a clue about this in general.

In summary, lead the flop because there a lot more hands that he can call a flop bet with than hands which he can call a check-raise with.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you make a mistake preflop by raising to t$4000, on the grounds that against a half decent player you're probably not taking this down without a stronger raise - you give him very good odds to call.
I'm not sure I see the merit in check-calling. I'm fairly sure this is one of those situations where you're unlikely to extract a great deal of value unless you lead out the flop. Because his likely range is so wide, he may well have flopped the sort of hand he is likely to call along with - top pair, straight draw, FD, 66 etc. You might get lucky and find him re-raising with 88 or something like that. The other advantage of leading the flop is that, depending on your image, this looks like the sort of flop you'll have missed most of the time, and he might raise you - though that's unlikely given the fact that he'll pot commit himself in so doing.

As played, I hate the check-raise. As a means of getting chips in the pot it's awful because there's almost no holding that villain will minbet and then either call or shove over a check-raise. So after you check, calling is probably correct, on the grounds that it might encourage him to bluff later streets. I do agree with your final assessment that he has nothing and can't play further - but his weak flop lead should give you a clue about this in general.

In summary, lead the flop because there a lot more hands that he can call a flop bet with than hands which he can call a check-raise with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I'm thinking here is I have the benifit of seeing the our check and his bet. His bet means he has garbage (ace high or inside draw maybe) and wouldn't have called a c-bet or a check raise. Like I said... I normally lead out here. But with the knowledge of his action, I'm c/c-ing to see if he takes another stab at it. Especially if he's an aggressive villian which his stack somewhat implies. So ya... guess that's the same thing.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 PM

PF steal is fine, but I'd feel more comfortable making it 5k to go.

My initial thought was wtf just bet the flop but now I'm not so sure. Assuming this guy is somewhat of a loose/passive (which probably isn't at bad read at these levels) c-betting this flop is not the most cEV+. I think his range is geared towards hands like KJ, A8 and he's not floating the flop enough for me to like betting out.

I absolutely hate c/r the flop. What hand could he limp/call a raise with that could withstand a c/r on this board? It might be one thing if he bet 7k on the flop, or a more cordinated board, but this is not the spot. Unless he has 77 I just don't see you getting any action. Just give the guy a chance to make a mistake.