View Poll Results: Hero's flop action?
Check/fold 4 8.51%
Check/call 23 48.94%
Check/raise 12 25.53%
Lead 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: SSNL, what\'s your story?

I'm 22 and finishing up my double major in marketing and management/entrepreneurship emphasis. I can safely play a reasonable amount of hands, while handling my degree and my girlfriend.

Now that I am graduating in December, I am taking a few months off of life to play a lot of 200NL/400NL+, while looking for "real" jobs in San Diego, CA (Never been, I live in Greenville, SC). Doing this b/c I am planning on staying with my g/f but we want a new experience (aka no settling down)...any comments on San Diego or CA in general appreciated.

I am nervous about doing this for a living b/c I don't know how it will look for future employers and getting back into the workforce if this [censored] ever all goes downhill...so I will try to work and play unless I do really well in the next few months.

Not to mention, going pro will be really hard to tell the parents that more or less paid for my education and my g/f who is understanding variance more and more.

I am sure everyone can relate to some of my dilemmas and experiences.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fletcher what site do you play? I'm breaking out of this country next year and basically doing the same thing as you. Hate 9-5, [censored] the man, love poker, etc.

Anyone wanna take action on how many under 25 students there are?

[/ QUOTE ]

feesaments!!!!!! what country(ies) are you thinkin of hittin up? I might be interested in going at least for a while. HOLLA
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 PM

31 years old and working full time in my own company as a software developer/ Consultant. This means no 9-5 and very flexible hours. I would definitely recommend setting up your own business for the 9-5 haters. It's probably more stressful and the hours might end up beeing more but it's worth it.

I have a University degree in IT and Ecomnomics.

I have been playing poker for about 3 years on and off. Last 1½ year has been spent playing 6max cash games where I currently play 100NL.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 6bb winner and try to get 15k hands in a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Do u stay in ssnl because if u move ur winrate drastically decreases, or cause u have to withdraw a lot of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started winning a decent amount. I'm hoping to move up to 2/4 next month. I only withdraw my rakeback atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much rb do you make per hand?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 6bb winner and try to get 15k hands in a week

[/ QUOTE ]

Do u stay in ssnl because if u move ur winrate drastically decreases, or cause u have to withdraw a lot of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started winning a decent amount. I'm hoping to move up to 2/4 next month. I only withdraw my rakeback atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like $75 for 2000 hands, is that a good enough estimate?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made about $32/1k hands at FTP NL200.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:12 PM

It's possible that Thac's estimate is more accurate, I only did the calculation once and it wasn't a very large sample, maybe 30k hands or so.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that Thac's estimate is more accurate, I only did the calculation once and it wasn't a very large sample, maybe 30k hands or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yesterday I got $75 for 2167 hands. So that's like ~$35 per 1k hands.

So I'd say $32-35/1000 on average.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Started playing 10 nl in March, had great coaching help from multiple 200/400 NL players. With their help, I got up to 100 nl sometime this summer. I just started grad school, and so far, I've been lucky enough to have paid for my tuition, rent, and computer all from just a few hours a day hunting fish. Poker isn't really my ultimate ambition, but rather a method of getting there, but I really enjoy it (except when people hit sick 2 and 4 outers on me for stacks). Since I've never uploaded my own cash, I feel like whatever I make is great, and it doesn't bother me quite as much when I lose a stack (though, like I said, I still don't like it). I've also been lucky enough to meet some great people, and hopefully our friendships will last after we decide to move on from poker.

Speaking of which, I'm always looking to meet new players that I can learn from or that can learn from me, so if you are in Eugene, OR (where I'm doing grad school) or know how to use AIM, message me on here and I'll send you my AIM name.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great thread idea

i started playing cash in june at 25NL and i currently play 5/10 with a bit of 3/6 and 10/20.

i took temp leave from uni for 2 years last month and went pro and will be moving to thailand for 12+ months in january.

I really love travelling and have always disliked the idea of the 9-5 so i am very very grateful for online poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

me and my mate are gonna do the exact same thing in jan. probably only 4 months or so though. how far have you got?