Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Default PP200: Set. Is this a good spot to induce bets from weak aces?

Villain is a 75/41/1.3 (2.55/0.8/2)
WTS is 35 W$SD is 28

In this hand - check/call or bet flop?

Pros for check is that he will bet his ace/queen and the pot will be bigger but huge con is that if he checks we have $24 pot on turn and can't extract all his stack on this hand.

In general how do you extract money from such donks?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $203
CO: $215.07
Button: $239.39
SB: $304.80
Hero: $227

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, Button calls, SB folds, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $12</font>, Button calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $21</font>

?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: PP200: Set. Is this a good spot to induce bets from weak aces?

Not sure If I play this right but I check or bet smaller amount to induce a bet/raise, with this board being relatively dry.

No reason to scare away lower pp or weak aces, although this donk might still call your bet with weak ace. You are oop so i play this slow and let the hand evolve. re-assess on turn
Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 PM

I like betting, especially if you c-bet a lot. Your going to get action from an A, and possibly even a Q, so you can try to get larger bets in the pot to extract more. It also forces them to pay for a draw. I also dislike the check raise because it gives away your strength. Plus, if your bet is raised you get the chance to 3-bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 PM

If he is the type of player that raises a lot in postion on flop I would bet/call then just bet for value. If he folds to aggression a check on the flop seems fine to me, since he might bet more of his range then he would call with.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM

just limping on the button doesn't seem to indicate an A or Q to me...it looks awkward if u try to c/r here, i don't mind trying to induce with a weak bet though
Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM

You've made a fairly substantial 6bb raise pre-flop. As I see it your reasoning for that is surely to boost the pot in instances that you do hit a set - as playing 66 unimproved is always going to be tough here - or just to take it preflop. I like this strategy; imho you should make either a 'sweetener' raise with 66 here that will absolutely be called (and then primarily mine) or you should raise more substantially, as you did, to really cut down villains odds.

Your large bet has worked out perfectly as you have now hit your set on a board that likely hits villain in some way or another. He probably doesn't expect you'll raise this much with AA-QQ so it looks like you have a PP preflop, AK or maybe AQ.

You've already thickened the pot preflop so I think its now time to re-affirm for villain that you're not overly happy with that flop by betting a little less than usual (if he was a great thinking player I'd do the opposite and bet more than usual). I'd say $12-15, which still prices him off KJ/K10, but will is likely to be called by such hands and any other hand villain has hit. If he raises, great - if not then you have a new decision on the turn. Do you complete the weakness with a check - but potentially miss value - or make another play. It'll depend often on the player, turn card, history, etc.

I think your goal here is to bet a little less than usual for two reasons:

1. He'll likely call down lighter than he would if you came out all guns blazing so you get some value.
2. He might conclude you don't have much of anything and value-raise lighter than he otherwise should have.

Remember if villain has two-pair or better you'll get him money (or he'll get yours) almost no matter what happens. Make sure in this instance you get value from a far wider range of hands.