Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 AM

Default Re: My Last Hunt............

Thanks.

And any time you feel like sharing some of your experiences in that "disagreement", please go right ahead.

Mickey Brausch
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM

I don't want to start another moose hunting related thread but have a little bit to share on the subject as well. My brother is out hunting this morning. He lives way up in Northern Ontario and I'm in Toronto. He's coming to visit early next week with my mom. If he gets one today it will be too late to get it to the butcher for proper processing before he gets here but he will cut off a chunk for me himself.

He also has a deer license. Last week he came home from an unsuccessfull hunt to find deer tracks all over his front lawn. Some deer had been eating the remains of his flower garden. While the hunter's away, the deer will play.

He gets up the next morning and there's the deer in his back yard. So he grabs his rifle and goes out in his slippers and bags it right there.

So I'm getting some deer meat for sure.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Default The Movie \"The Queen\"

. . . has an excellent scene involving, believe it or not, Queen Elizabeth and hunting ("stalking" as they call it). Not to hijack, but your experience, Myrtle, might make that scene even more poignant than it already is (it's the best scene in the movie).
Old 10-27-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Re: The Movie \"The Queen\"

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:40 AM

that was really nice, very good writing style.
would really aprreciate what happened in vietnam (your description) that caused you to change...
Old 10-30-2006, 08:43 AM

Wow. Just reread that. Yeah, don't waste the gift.

Big Stephen Hunter fan, especially the Bob Lee Swagger novels. Just... yeah. Anyway, on with my day.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that was really nice, very good writing style.
would really aprreciate what happened in vietnam (your description) that caused you to change...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much for the compliment.

In the future I will do my best to explain how I got from there to here in regards to that.

It is not overly dramatic in some sort of "John Wayne" type of series of events.

If you've ever seen the movie 'Mr.Roberts', you will gain some insight in that regard.

I'll be quite honest with you however......Going back there in my mind is not a place that I really look forward to going.

To express my feelings about these things means that I must re-experience them again.

That's not something that I look forward to doing, but I intend to, and I will........
Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 AM

Yeah, it may not be the easiest of things to do. But, hey, writing is a purgative, right? It's not to be done all at once, but if you can tell the tale...

GL. At least you know you've got a few fans.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 AM

Loved reading "My Last Hunt..." It made me think of some of my own long past hunting experiences, and made me wonder as well about some of the Vietnam precursors.

[ QUOTE ]
That's not something that I look forward to doing, but I intend to, and I will........

[/ QUOTE ]

I too would read this with interest. BTW, I mentioned to you previously a fascinating book about a Vietnam naval incident (or series of incidents). Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Arnheiter-affa.../dp/B0006W3YYQ
Old 10-31-2006, 06:09 AM

Great read, thanks Myrtle!

Also a big Stephen Hunter fan, it definitely had that feel, please post more if you have the inclination!