Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Table selection

I understand that table selection can make a significant difference to your win rates, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

I'm playing a style that usually has me around 30/20 or 35/25. When looking for tables I have tried to put the tight and/or better players to my right with the loose and poor players to my left. That's about it though.

Can any of you suggest tips for table selection? I'd appreciate suggestions on selection when you have stats on players and when the tables are full of unknowns.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Table selection

[ QUOTE ]
When looking for tables I have tried to put the tight and/or better players to my right with the loose and poor players to my left. That's about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]
try doing the exact opposite in the future
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When looking for tables I have tried to put the tight and/or better players to my right with the loose and poor players to my left. That's about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the conditions under which I leave the table.

As stated above, try it the other way around. Life will be better.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 AM

depending on stakes, its ok to stay if ANY fish are in the game
Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Money tends to flow in a clockwise direction around the poker table, so you want the weak players' money to be flowing in your direction.

I prefer to play against passive players who will allow me to see flops cheaply from the blinds, give me free cards, and good odds to draw in multi-way pots.

LAGs and maniacs can be profitable on your right too, but the variance and frustration can get a bit much sometimes.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 AM

Pretty sure it's better to have tight players in a spot where they are folding to blind steals and generally folding to raises/3bets otb, etc., where you can isolate yourself against limpers much easier.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yeah you want the loose/aggro players on your right and the tighter/passive players on your left

Every site gives you some general table stats on the lobby screen. Things like percentage of players to flop, average pot size, hands per hour etc. This is all I use to find the better tables. The main thing I look for is a high average pot sometimes you will see a table with a average/low percentage of players to flop but a higher than usual average pot size this is usualy an indication of one or two over aggressive players spewing chips and these tables are the ones you want to be at