Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM

Default HH swap with anyone that can help PL .Micros?

Im a winning 2/4 Limit Hold Em player as well as a .25/.50 NLHE player wanting to learn o8.

Is there anyone who would want to do a HH swap with me or perhaps a beginner who would wants to learn together? I can help with hold em also if you want.

PM me or respond here.
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: HH swap with anyone that can help PL .Micros?

Maybe some details would help to get started.

Data scattered over PL(50c) and PL (25c)

Sample size: 1900
VPIP: 14.83
W$WSF: 30.70
WTSD: 28
W$SD: 59
PFR: 3.2
Hi%: 7.50
Lo% 1.5
Scoop%: 6.4

BB/100: ($75) -9.08

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:38 PM

if you are losing at this game that badly, it's very likely you are going to far after the flop with hands that only have one-way potential, and are vulnerable. These hands are big losers, because you need the turn and river to blank just to get a bit more than your money back.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Hmm... VP$IP of 15 or so seems reasonable, likewise the figure for W$WSD of 60 is OK. The thing that strikes me is that your hi, lo and scoop percentages look abnormal. Lo% of 1.5 is abysmal. How do you choose starting hands? For a beginning player who is willing to play as tight as VP$IP 15 I'd expect you to be playing only variations of A2xx and AAxx; are you playing a lot of high hands instead? Like most lowball games, PLO8 is mostly about going for the low and then hopefully getting the high as well.
Anyway, you can have all your percentages in about the right range and still be a net loser if you make bad decisions on the river. Might want to review your ten biggest individual losses and see if you made incorrect calls, miscounted your outs, got freerolled by a nut low or whatever...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 PM

Ok, that makes sense. Is it a safe assumption that once a hand has ONLY one way potential do we fold these on the flop?

Does my Preflop stats and SD stats reflect this?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Generally, if the hand has only high potential and there are two or more low cards on the flop, you should fold. Top set with two low cards might be an exception. Folding made nut lows is a more difficult call; if I'm up against just one other player and I really have no high potential I might fold a nut low, but against more than one player I will usually call these to the river. The advantage of the made low over the made high is that (even without counterfeit protection) your nut low is very likely to hold up, whereas most made high hands are much more vulnerable to a freeroll.
Your SD stats look fine - 60% W$WSD can be a winning number, though higher is always better of course. Possibly related question - do you try to slowplay any of your made hands? Slowplaying is much more of a losing game in PLO8 than in NLHE, not least because even if your hand holds up you end up with a smaller pot on the river than you might have. W$WSD of 60% and still losing -9BB/100 implies that the pots you are losing are bigger than the ones you win, and not flogging your winners hard enough is one possible explanation...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:59 PM

JerBear77,

Please read my reply in your other, more recent post. That should clear up a lot of the reasons you are losing so badly.

Good luck.