Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Default $1000 live event (repost). I\'m a total spewtard right?

This hand was posted as background info in a thread by TCA (not played by me). Am I a total monkey for wanting to snap call this river because our hand looks so much like AK?

[ QUOTE ]
Early in Event 5, table is playing strangely - seemingly it doesn't matter what the preflop bet is there are usually 4+ people in the pot, Im usually in there in LP with lots of random stuff.

I have about 8.5k - 9k, villain covers. Villain appears to be wearing a WSOP braclet, he looks a little familiar but not sure who he is.

Its early so not much information on him. He has been limping into a lot of pots and hasn't folded to any raise once he limped regardless of size even though OOP. Only one other pot with him.

Limp in EP, He limps MP, I raise from BB with AQo to 275 (25/50). Both call.

Flop J53, 2 clubs. I bet 600, first guy folds, he calls.

Turn J. Check, check.

River 2 (no club). Check, he bets 1500, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: $1000 live event (repost). I\'m a total spewtard right?

I like postflop. I would check preflop.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

Im glad you said this actually, I was going to put fold(?) but I thought people might think I was a bit insane for wanting to call for missed clubs here. I think if he floats here he just bets turn?

The trouble is I think he could easily play a J in the same way and the only other draw out there (64) also made it although that is less likely (but he is in a lot of pots early).

How do people like playing a hand like KJ,QJ,JT,J9 if you are villain here and does your kicker affect your decision?

Also isnt the jack a pretty good card to bet with a flush or straight draw? Or do people prefer taking a free card?

Lot of questions there, so I apologise.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Since people are calling any size raises, I would raise a little more OOP.

I don't know if you need to cbet into 2 players.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 AM

This post is a bit deceptive really because the hand was much earlier (within the first few hands) so I didn't realise no one was ever folding, but yes raising more oop would have been better.

Not sure whether check or cbet is better on this board facing 2 players, definately close but i reckon a bet is probably showing the most +EV but not entirely sure.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 AM

I agree with making it more pre.

I agree with sometimes checking this flop.

I agree that this river is sometimes a fold and sometimes a call. I like calling better online since i think players are more aggro, but overall i also think folding is fine.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Yeah I kinda put him on low to mid pockets is that a good range. I like to call just for information.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM

My problem is that a thinking player (which we can probably assume about a bracelet winner) will be betting the river with nearly any hand that makes it there giving the extreme weakness that we have shown (except for baby pairs that might check because he might put you on 88-TT and think you wont pay off with AK anyway.)

His range on the flop includes JX, midpairs, flush draws, and the occasional float. I think that if he is betting all of these hands except for sometimes checking his smallest pairs then we definitely are ahead the 30% of the time that we need to make a call correct. Also, there is definitely added value in showing down a good call with AQ high this early in the game.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM

If he bets 100% of his range that gets to this river, and he is a normal player, this is probably still a -EV call IMO.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he bets 100% of his range that gets to this river, and he is a normal player, this is probably still a -EV call IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a general rant to make. Sorry about the hijack.

Double Ice,
You make a LOT of statements like this in various threads but you rarely accompany this information with the hand ranges that you put him on or any other supplemental information other than your opinion.

I know that some great players can get away with simply offering their opinion but pardon me for not being aware of your credentials. Since I do not know that you are normally right about poker and because I don't know your thought process posts like this one and others you have made recently are generally useless.