Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Default The Well: nation

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" . The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on tuesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on tuesday, its your day in the well .

i'll be here grinding all day, go ahead and ask me whatever you want.

-nation
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: The Well: nation

Groouunndd flooorr..

Poker Story? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 05:20 PM

What stakes do you currently play? Do you always go broke with KK with 100bb stacks if the money goes in preflop?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:20 PM

I know you are just getting back into the swing of things w/ grinding tons of hands again. But what do you think is one of the most important things to do while grinding tons of tables for long sessions? Not nessecarily poker related, but what keeps you sane when grinding all the hands...

Hope that makes sense...

And...

What do you think is most important to your success in the SSNL games?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM

When did they start playing with guitars in the NBA?

No, serious one now: Do you think that everybody who wants to become a really good poker player should be playing all the variations or is concentrating on one game (say NLHE for us) the better way to go?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Groouunndd flooorr..

Poker Story? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I started playing poker when I watched Moneymaker win the WSOP in 03. I started playing little home games. Of course, at first I was awful, but then I bought a limit book and learned how to play tight. Everyone was bad in my home game so I started to make a little money here and there.

I used to play limit online at that time, but as a donkey would. I think I was a winner at the low limits I used to play, but only because it was in Party's heyday. This was around my freshman year of college. Second semester freshman year, I started playing in a game at Penn State in one of the common rooms. There were a bunch of good players who had played in high school, including .Alex. and pokerfink on 2p2.

I started playing in that game and was the worst player in the game. I hadn't played a whole lot of no limit until I played there, but eventually became good friends with the regulars and became one of the best players in the game. We started at a 20nl game, then 40nl, then eventually a 100 game. The poker scene at Penn State was jumping, we would run 3 games at once in that commons hall.

During that time, I slowly built up my roll from $20 up to around 1k. We took a turning stone trip and I played 1/2 there for the first time. At that time, it was a 100 max game. I killed the games and made about 1400. I also started playing in a 1/2 200 max game in my hometown.

From there, I built my roll up to about 6k, all from playing live 1/2. Eventually I started playing some 2/5 and finally decided I was good enough to go pro. I dropped out of school and moved to Vegas.

I got out to Vegas last January (2006) and for some reason didn't really play much right away. I was excited to move out here and did a lot of partying. I didn't really act like a pro. My roll got really really low, to about 4.5k at my lowest point, so I decided to play 1/2 online after talking to a friend who was grinding full ring.

I learned how to multitable and really honed my full ring game. I built my roll up to ~25k last november, and then took almost the next 8 months off. I was pretty burnt out and focused on other things like weight loss and enjoying life instead of grinding all day.

In mid-october I realized I was down to 8k after just living off my roll the whole time with no other income. I started 16 tabling 1/2 on full tilt and am now right around 17~18k again. I'm going to try to find balance in my life so I don't get burnt out because I need to save money so I can start investing some day. So my goal for each month is around 80k hands...should be very doable.

I haven't been the greatest pro. My biggest obstacles of been lack of discipline as far as putting in the hands every month and also poker add. I get bored sometimes and start playing stupid games like limit and dump money in games where I'm -ev. I consider myself one of the best 1/2 full ring players in the game, easily top 5 at full tilt. It's a matter of just playing poker and saving my fun time for after I'm done with it.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What stakes do you currently play? Do you always go broke with KK with 100bb stacks if the money goes in preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

200nl. I go broke against almost anyone except the tightest of the tight players who I have no history with. However, I rarely get KK aipf. I dislike 4 betting all in against tags because I never get called by QQ. I prefer to play for a little pot control.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM

How did you only spend 17k in 8 months living and partying in Vegas??
Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you are just getting back into the swing of things w/ grinding tons of hands again. But what do you think is one of the most important things to do while grinding tons of tables for long sessions? Not nessecarily poker related, but what keeps you sane when grinding all the hands...

Hope that makes sense...

And...

What do you think is most important to your success in the SSNL games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I listen to music constantly, especially pop music with really catchy hooks so I sing along. It keeps me upbeat. I also break it into 2 hour sessions.

I think I adjust to the regulars better than other players. Many regs are content to just give up or fold because they have other stuff going on and they can find better spots. I don't mind going to war with them. Also my blind play is exceptional.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you only spend 17k in 8 months living and partying in Vegas??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, I left that out. In January I moved back east to my hometown for 6 months in between leases so my buddy and i could get a place together. I didn't spend much and I played some live 1/2 and did ok so I treaded water for a bit.