Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Hey PPA Guys

I got this email:

Dear Fellow PPA Member:

I am proud to offer to you and other DC-area PPA members a unique and exciting opportunity. On November 6, a very special group called Horton's Kids is holding a charity poker tournament in Washington, D.C. The winner's prize, donated by PPA, is a complimentary seat in the 2008 World Series of Poker Main Event!

Obviously, space is very limited, and seats will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. A buy-in donation of $1,000, which is tax deductible up to $960 (100% will go to this wonderful charity), is required to play in the tournament. Clearly, one player will see a tremendous payoff for their investment, but with your help Horton’s Kids will be the night's biggest winner. Also up for grabs will be 2 round trip tickets on Southwest airlines, and an Autographed Deluxe Poker Set.

All the details and background are below. I encourage you to contact Horton's Kids at the RSVP email address listed below to make your reservation today, and I look forward to seeing you at the World Series in 2008!

Sincerely,

John Pappas
PPA Executive Director

.....and first of all I'd like to thank you guys for being involved in such a great cause.

My reason for writing is that I just want you to know that by making the event a $1,000.00 buy in, you're missing the the largest base of poker players in the DC area.

There is a group of hundreds of poker players that come from the entire DC area and regularly play in charity tournaments in southern Maryland week in and week out. Many of these charity tournies go on a semi-daily basis.

The average range of buy-in's are generally $50 to $150 and once or twice a year there may be a very special tournament with a 3 to 4 hundred dollar buy in. Last week I was in a $150.00 buy-in event on a miserably rainy Friday night that attracted well over 100 people.

These people ARE the local poker crowd in the DC area. We see the same faces in every tournament. I can't think of any of them that will be able to attend a $1,000.00 buy-in event......I certainly can't. They like myself, would love to help out such a good cause but it's just not possible.

My question I guess is who are you looking to attract? DC are celebrities? Dignitaries? These people probably play poker once or twice a year.

My point is that you're missing out on the actual player base in the DC area by pricing this event so high and by doing so, missing a great opportunity to not only raise more money but forward the ideas of the PPA to the people that care about them the most.

I hope everything goes well and you raise alot of money.......I wish I could attend.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Legal Charity poker in DC ? Great way to find out.

This would make a great test for PPA's cojones.

Is charity poker legal in DC ?

Imagine if the tournament got busted. Terrific way to publicize the PPA agenda. Hey, it even brings in Harrahs as well, as the donor or interstate vendor of the prize package.

If it IS legal, nice event. If it is NOT legal, then well played hand in raising the issue.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Hey PPA Guys

Thank you for your response Roy,

However, this is Not a PPA event. This event was being put on by Horton's Kids, is being paid for entirely by them, and we at the PPA have nothing to do with the actual event. Our only role was to donate a $10,000 seat to next years WSOP ME. As to who Horton's Kids wants to attract for this event that is their prerogative. This email was to just let our members know about the event if they wished to attend.

Bryan Spadaro
Membership Relations Manager
Poker Players Alliance
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for your response Roy,

However, this is Not a PPA event. This event was being put on by Horton's Kids, is being paid for entirely by them, and we at the PPA have nothing to do with the actual event. Our only role was to donate a $10,000 seat to next years WSOP ME. As to who Horton's Kids wants to attract for this event that is their prerogative. This email was to just let our members know about the event if they wished to attend.

Bryan Spadaro
Membership Relations Manager
Poker Players Alliance

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Bryan, thanks for the quick reply. I understand.

I just felt I needed to get that off my chest after I read the email. I was really excited about it until I read the price and my excitement turned to sadness.

It was certainly decent of you guys to donate the seat.

I'm sure whichever Redskin or Wizard wins it will enjoy the trip. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got this email:

My reason for writing is that I just want you to know that by making the event a $1,000.00 buy in, you're missing the the largest base of poker players in the DC area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke to someone I know at Horton when I got my invite some time ago about running satellites live, on-line, or both for this event. It was too late for this year, but we'll see next year.

D$D
Closed Thread