Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Folding pocket pairs

Anyone read a good article before in relation to the mentality of overplaying pocket pairs?

I mean, in tons of situations, when people are more likely WAY BEHIND in the hand, they continue to bet, raise, and call off chips on mediocre hands. Just trying to mentally grasp what people are thinking here, so I can make sure to not do the same thing. Sometimes I try to make moves with PP when I feel I'm up against a c-bet, but nothing of this magnitude... I mean. Lets say this guy had KQ instead of QQ and there was a Q on the board, do you think THEN he could fold his pair of queens?

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button ($1612.50)
SB ($984.75)
BB ($1523.75)
Hero ($945)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $30, BB calls $20.

Flop: ($120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $160</font>, SB calls $160, BB folds.

Turn: ($500) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $784.75 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $345 (All-In).

River: ($2029.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $2029.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qs Qc (two pair, queens and nines).
Hero has 9s Kd (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $1990. SB wins $39.75. </font>

What drives people to throw money into a pot, I'd like to know some psychology on it if there has ever been any written on such a topic. I think this thread has potential.