Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

[ QUOTE ]
How about a reading the book together as a study group? Keep that thread in this forum rather than in the STTF and allow the "criticizers" to voice their opinions as we work our way through the text. I bet that Collin would participate as long as it didn't develop into a shouting match.

I like the book, but I by no means consider myself a polished SnG player. I'd really appreciate a discussion where people who have read the book (and who are accomplished SnG players) could comment on those areas where it might be improved.

HOH hadn't been out for more than 20 minutes before there was a study group. I'd certainly participate in one for this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see if the STTF mods feel like this would work. I'd contribute something, though pretty much all of what I thought is already in the review. I know at least one other very good STT analyst who's reading the book, so there's the potential for some good feedback.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:29 PM

study group thread, Part I
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 AM

I like the book but was diappointed not to see anything on turbo or six max SNGs. Colin, maybe you'd like to consider this for the 2nd edition.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 AM

Overall I thought the book was ok. I play the 6.50s, I'm still a beginner on overall sngs played, but feel like a veteran since I've studied and posted in the stt forum for the last 4 or 5 months. Most of his advice I felt was marginal, and alot of it he gives some pf info then chooses a decision that could be bad or very good but not enough pf reads were given.

I agree with the posters who state that he comes to some correct conclusions w/out logic or enough info to make decisions in most of his hand exercises.

If you're a beginner, I would recommend the book mostly for the part that explains $EV and cEV and the last part which explains software, reads, and bankroll.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 AM

I'm far from an expert at SnGs but I think the book would have been fine if it was just titled 'Beginners Guide to SnGs' or something similiar.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the book but was diappointed not to see anything on turbo or six max SNGs. Colin, maybe you'd like to consider this for the 2nd edition.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no difference between regs and turbos if you ask me. You still are playing tight early, and icm pushing/calling late. Everything that he states in the book will work with either structure.

As for 6-max, I don't play'em so I don't know about that.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no difference between regs and turbos if you ask me. You still are playing tight early, and icm pushing/calling late. Everything that he states in the book will work with either structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that his book will work with either structure, but I don't agree there's no difference between regs and turbos. If you're OK at small blind play and good at high blind endgame play and ICM, then you should play turbos, because in a turbo endgame play represents a larger percentage of the decisions you'll make. Since you make them better than your opponents, you want to be making more of them. You are much better off playing 2 turbos rather than 1 regular.

If you are weaker at endgame play and stronger at big stack play, then you should play regular SnGs.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Regs are pointless in my opinion. If you have the skill set to beat regs, then it should be a simple transition to the turbos.

Advantage, you can play two turbos for every 1 reg. Time is money, unless you absolutely suck at turbos.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regs are pointless in my opinion. If you have the skill set to beat regs, then it should be a simple transition to the turbos.

Advantage, you can play two turbos for every 1 reg. Time is money, unless you absolutely suck at turbos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree with you. I wonder though if some people are better off playing 1 regular for $20 rather than 2 turbos for $10, if they are better at small blind poker. Although I get the impression that an advantage in small blind poker does not help you much, since even if you have it, you should optimally be playing very tight until later stages anyway, killing much of your advantage.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Bump