Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Default 50NL: Am I getting taken to Valuetown?

Villain appears to be TAG so far, with a twist. He loves floating me. He's done it once an orbit or so. Maybe he thinks I'm FOS, since I've been getting hit by the deck and thus raising pf a lot. Every other time he's folded to my cbet. Once, I opened from the button after a fish limped, he 3bet from the SB, I flat call. Flop is rags, he leads for about the pot, I come over the top, he folds. Other than that, its been him calling my opens in position or from the blinds, and then folding.

Did I induce a bluff here, or is this pure value bet? Is he maybe valuebetting a worse hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($47.05)
SB ($76.75)
BB ($51.90)
Hero ($115.60)
MP ($10.80)
CO ($51.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($6.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, CO calls $5, SB folds.

Turn: ($16.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $11.5</font>, Hero calls $11.50.

River: ($39.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $16.5</font>, Hero...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: 50NL: Am I getting taken to Valuetown?

I'd say that given your read there's a pretty good chance you're ahead here.

A better ace isn't that likely because of pf. And against a range of 77/88/78/9T/56/[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/air float, I think your best move is to CRAI on the turn. Good for metagame against floaty mcfloaterson too.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:47 AM

This looks too small to be a bluff tbh. And I don't think he's value-betting worse.

I'd fold.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 PM

I think the flop texture the times you have previously been floated is important. Were they on wet boards like this? Or had you been cbetting into raggy flops/getting floated?

Would villain not 3b pf with AK? And would he not usually rr flop with AQ/AK/77/88? I think most ok TAGs would do both those things.

I think on turn c/c is clearly correct. But by river his range must be down to {77, 88, AQ, AK, AT-, Busted draw/air}. Meh, I think we might be getting Valuetowned here, although I spew-call a lot as I find it hard to put him on a hand he plays like this given history.

Redd: crai on turn seems nasty to me. I just can't see a worse hand or a draw calling. And I don't think it's as good for metagame as you say as the floater will just think to himself (if he has worse than AJ): "yeah, right, I'm not paying you off the one time you have a hand...if that's the best you've got to counteract my floating and get value then bring it on".
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Thinking about it, I'd actually just bet turn again. Most of his range is draws and air when he calls flop, so I'd just fire again for protection/value against draws. The average NL50 guy isn't (semi-)bluff raising the turn much, so you can easily fold to a raise.

c/c is ok if you have a plan for a blank river I guess. My default would be to c/f river unless I have a read that he's capable of double barreling in a spot like this.

c/rAI turn is terrible with this hand imo. I'd much rather c/rai a floater with JhTh than AJ...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Giving up the lead on the turn was a mistake, you basically said "I have no ace" versus a guy you suspect is floating you! He won't need any more reason to take you to task and test you relentlessly until the hand is over. He could have a big hand, he could not! But you'll never know for sure unless you bet that turn. Frankly, I think my read is mute here, as your actions widen his range to almost anything!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:55 PM

I think I would bet the turn here, or at the very least I might bet $10 on the river.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving up the lead on the turn was a mistake, you basically said "I have no ace" versus a guy you suspect is floating you!

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, so what am I calling the turn with? He's not betting the river if he put me on a draw.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:12 PM

plz bet turn