Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: 200PLO slowplay flopped nut straight + freeroll?

Pete and Rempel have already covered what I feel about the flop play. What I would add, is that the instinct to slowplay the nuts is something most folk get from playing NLHE, where it is often best to just call every street to ensure that your foe not only snatches the noose off you, he puts it over his own head and jumps. This degree of slowplaying is very, very rarely right in PLO. When you have a big hand that can improve, your first instinct should be to raise.

I talk about this concept more, back in the day, here

gl

bdd
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if it pairs and he checks?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what actually happened. An eight came. He checked and I checked the turn and I think it is a default play in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that checking behind the turn when it has paired is a default play. Unless villain is super tricky, how many players will try to check/raise the flop and turn? Given that we flat called the flop check/raise, our hand looks a lot like top set or something like that. I think this is an excellent spot to try and bluff off the same straight. IMO, I would much rather bet/fold the turn then try and figure out what he has when he leads for pot on the river.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big fear, as played, is not what move he will put on you on a paired turn - its that the Foe may now pass.

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]
he might pass the top straight though. I think if the board pairs on the turn and he checks, you should often bet.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big fear, as played, is not what move he will put on you on a paired turn - its that the Foe may now pass.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Big Dave - But if he's going to slip the hook on the third betting round, doesn't he also simply fold to the re-raise on the second betting round?

I think you might set the hook better by just calling his second round check-raise.

I'm making the assumption that Hero plays better than Foe and is thus less likely to make a mistake on a later betting round than Foe.

Buzz
Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Nice idea from you guys to try to bluff out the same straight. But I have to argue with argument that I slowplayed because of NL Hold'em influence. I actually found out that even the biggest donks are often prepared to make big laydowns against a reraise on the flop, while if you don't reraise, you can milk them more. That was my reason for slowplaying.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice idea from you guys to try to bluff out the same straight. But I have to argue with argument that I slowplayed because of NL Hold'em influence. I actually found out that even the biggest donks are often prepared to make big laydowns against a reraise on the flop, while if you don't reraise, you can milk them more. That was my reason for slowplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the river action after you checked behind on turn?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the river action after you checked behind on turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

It came Jh. It goes check check. I wonder if I could somehow value bet there, maybe half the pot.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]
he might pass the top straight though. I think if the board pairs on the turn and he checks, you should often bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we put him on the same straight as us that gives us a 8/45 chance of getting a good card with great steal equity.

The chance of winning $90 even 80% of the time the board pairs, added to our assumed freeroll to spades and higher straights seems to say to me we just call the flop. That again is presuming we're currently tied and Villain does not have a set alongside it.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 PM

I would never consider a str8 a slowplayable hand in Omaha.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never consider a str8 a slowplayable hand in Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point. I was thinking about combination of slowplaying and waiting for a safe turn.