Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 AM

Default 200PLO slowplay flopped nut straight + freeroll?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $2 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($191.85)
Hero ($192)
SB ($198)
BB ($226.10)
UTG ($235.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $5.

Flop: ($15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $38</font>, Hero calls $23.75.

Only a few hands into the session, but villain seems solid. His checkraise told me that he either has the nuts, J7, maybe 76 or something like a set and I figured if I reraise, I have no chance of getting paid against anything but the nuts. Plus, I might wait for a safe turn before commiting my stack (because my read is not strong, just a feeling - he might stack off with a set here).

On the other hand, if he has the nuts, I miss on a good freerolling opportunity if a J or Q comes. It is not a lot of outs though.

I slowplayed because I figured if he has J7, which is likely, I might get a bet out of him on the river, but if I reraise now, he will fold. But in case he had the same hand as I did, I missed on a freeroll opportunity, so I am a little confused by that hand.

Would you reraise or call the flop?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: 200PLO slowplay flopped nut straight + freeroll?

Vinetou - If Villain truly is a solid player (as you say he is) then if Villain has a straight, it's the nut straight (same as you). And in addition, a solid player has re-draws - maybe something like QJT9 or QJTT.

Another possibility is a solid Villain could have top set, maybe along with a non-nut straight.

If Villain has QJTT, then Villain is ahead. If Villain has QJT9, then you are ahead. Overall, there are more ways you can be ahead, but whoever is ahead, if Villain is truly the solid player you say he is, then it's close.

Since it is close, you're not missing a lot of value by not re-raising here. In addition, by backing off a bit you disguise your hand somewhat.

That considered, I'd just call. But raising seems all right too.

Although I'm primarily a fixed-limit Omaha-8 player, this situation is very familiar.

Buzz
Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Holy [censored] reraise pot
Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vinetou - If Villain truly is a solid player (as you say he is) then if Villain has a straight, it's the nut straight (same as you). And in addition, a solid player has re-draws - maybe something like QJT9 or QJTT.

Another possibility is a solid Villain could have top set, maybe along with a non-nut straight.

If Villain has QJTT, then Villain is ahead. If Villain has QJT9, then you are ahead. Overall, there are more ways you can be ahead, but whoever is ahead, if Villain is truly the solid player you say he is, then it's close.

Since it is close, you're not missing a lot of value by not re-raising here. In addition, by backing off a bit you disguise your hand somewhat.

That considered, I'd just call. But raising seems all right too.

Although I'm primarily a fixed-limit Omaha-8 player, this situation is very familiar.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

just calling here is very wrong.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:05 AM

The very idea of a freeroll is that you get the money in with the nuts plus a better redraw. Get the money in, otherwise you ain't freerollin' [censored].
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM

Reraise on the flop. I dont think solid villain pays more on the turn without same str8 or only with a set. On the flop he might be willing to gamble with set + weak straight.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM

I think your read is bad, your read suggests he is likely to have a smaller straight and only occasionally a set. If that is the case you should call and try to stack the smaller straight on the turn.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM

Just calling is fine here, your freeroll is only 4 direct outs. You can get most of your stack in on the turn anyway.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 AM

I would rr pot, without the K I would call.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM

If vilian raises with J7 here he is far from solid.
If I have to play a guessing game, He has a set or the nuts and puts you on overpair+str8 draw type of hand.

For me the only reason to call flop is if I`m prepared to dump the hand when turn pairs the board.

My standard play would be to repot though.