Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Default TAG reg keeps minraising me in position

This guy multitables and is 27/20/4 over 100 hands. He sits to my left.

At least half of the time, he's been raising my 4BB opens to 8BBs. Its generally been in late position, but that's because I do more raising from late position.

Once I flat called and c/f'd the flop, once I flat called and c/r'd him pot size, and once I flat called and donked the flop (which he shoved).

Obviously the better my hand, the easier it is to play. But if I'm opening AJo in MP and he does this, its really frustrating. Do I start 4betting light? That sounds like a disaster, but its probably cheaper than c/r'ing air more. How do you guys adjust to this?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: TAG reg keeps minraising me in position

um, find a different table?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for pointing that out. However, I'd like to know what to do so when the games get tougher I'll have some background. Thanks for sharing your sweet table selection advice, though.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:53 PM

Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass. Yes, you want to tighten up your range some, and I don't think you need to start 4 betting, just start calling him with hands that flop well and then proceed from there. I had an aggro player sitting on my left on three of my four tables one night, and he 3bet me (potsized) every single time I opened. I tightened up and started calling with hands that would flop well and I would check call him on the flop if I hit part, or c/r big with strong draws and such.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for pointing that out. However, I'd like to know what to do so when the games get tougher I'll have some background. Thanks for sharing your sweet table selection advice, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is not a tag if he's doing this, he's a donkey...

Tighten up, your raising standards from Late position, and be prepared to make some plays back at him if you want to stay at the table.

Otherwise the advice is fine, you shouldn't be trying to mix it up with villains who take you out of your comfort level at this stage. Poker is about taking money from fish, not from the regs...unless you adapt your game to it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass. Yes, you want to tighten up your range some, and I don't think you need to start 4 betting, just start calling him with hands that flop well and then proceed from there. I had an aggro player sitting on my left on three of my four tables one night, and he 3bet me (potsized) every single time I opened. I tightened up and started calling with hands that would flop well and I would check call him on the flop if I hit part, or c/r big with strong draws and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a recipe for spewage if the other player is decent...

Tighten up, and then open your 4 bet range to include 99-JJ...

You know he is doing this with garbage a great % of the time, so look to CRAI low flops that he will try to float, and don't be afraid to play back.

Again I still think you should move tables though.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that this player was quite bad and had shown down a couple trashy hands he had 3bet me with (he had this habit of forgetting about shortstacks yet to act behind us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I expect this player who is min 3betting him is also quite bad and should be as easy to manipulate as my villain. Against a strong/competent player, I agree and insist that moving tables is by far the best bet.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 AM

If 27/20 is a TAG whats it take in your book to be a LAG...

First thing to do is learn how powerful the PF 3 bet is as a weapon in your arsenal..Even a min RR takes us out of our "comfort" zone and have difficulty adjusting(at least I do)...

Playing against a min 3 better I make very few adjustment..I will tighten up my PFR a little dropping the weaker hands from my range...The min 3 bet is still giving you very good implied odds on hands that can flop monster..Be willing to 4 bet a little weaker but do not get carried away..ConcentraTE on how villain plays post flop and pay careful attention to the hands villain showdown and what his PF raise amount was..Some of these villain will give there hands away simply by the size of there PF raise..How does villain react to limpers???? If he is truely getting carried away(which 20% does not sound like it) I would be willing to limp smaller pairs(55-22),SCs and some suited Axs hands..

It sound like you've been mixing up your post flop play pretty well...Becareful not to spew off chip convinced he is bluffing..
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 AM

I decided to flat call my big pairs and c/r most any flop with them in order to balance out the stuff like broadways that I would also flat call and c/r hit flops with. I thought that would generally be better than 3betting big pairs and also 3betting a little lighter. Sound good?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to flat call my big pairs and c/r most any flop with them in order to balance out the stuff like broadways that I would also flat call and c/r hit flops with. I thought that would generally be better than 3betting big pairs and also 3betting a little lighter. Sound good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not like the flat calling with big pairs as a "standard play"..Sometime YES to balance your PF play...By only calling you are laying him sick odds to out flop you..

You want this villain to stop unless you have control over him post flop..If you have control over him post flop(which it sound you might) IMO your calling strategy is prolly more profitable..If you are able to consistanily out play him post flop it will have the same effect on him as 4 betting PF...

"We" want villain to stop because he is taking away very profitable plays from us..ie stealing blinds.ISO raising weak limper and max our positional advantage..

Also do not get tunnal vision lose sight of others at the table...This can be very expensive...