Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Why doesn\'t anyone use the high-center camera?

Been watching a lot of SEC baseball lately, and today I was thinking about something that bothers me in every baseball game I watch. Why on earth isn't every pitch shown from directly behind the pitcher? I know its possible, because I've seen it used before. Its so frustrating to know that there's a TV angle where its clear exactly where the ball passes over the plate, but all we get is this off-to-the side view.

So, why no high-center cam?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t anyone use the high-center camera?

Stadiums have platforms/wells/etc for the cameras. The placement of the cameras is based on the location of those spots rather than where the best location would be.

I agree though. I'd love to see all high center cameras.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Not that I disagree with you, but one thing to consider is that from the high center cam, it is more difficult to tell if a pitch is high or low.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 AM

I believe the idea behind the lower, off-to-the-side type camera is because you can zoom in closer to the action that way. You are a bit closer to the pitcher/batter.

Also, the high-center camera at some college telecasts kind of weird me out sometimes simply because I'm not used to it.
And probably even moreso if it's a lowish-angle camera but is set-up a little right of CF instead of the standard way which is a litle left.

The current angle is the standard that everyone is used to which is why I believe they continue using it.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:29 AM

I hate that camera. Can't tell where the ball is going off the bat.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:09 PM

I agree the straight-on angle is the best for accurately seeing balls and strikes- and there was a mention in Moneyball about how DePodesta and Beane's other minions liked to watch the games from the that feed- but as others have said, I don't think it's as good for everything else (especially judging the ball off the bat, although maybe that would come with more viewing experience).

After watching so many games from the normal camera position- even though it varies slightly at different ballparks- I think you develop a very good feel for pitch location. I'm always amazed at how many announcers, when watching a replay, seem to completely ignore the camera angle ("that pitch was exactly over the outside corner"- umm, almost).