Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Missing bets and underplaying your hand in razz

My observation is that everyone bets or raises when they have a slight edge. Of course they sometimes bet to represent something when their board looks better than their hand is.

I have found that one of the most effective techniques is not to always bet when you have an edge. Often times exploiting every edge means playing your cards face up. If you underplay your hand on early streets, people will often call you down drawing dead. Plus it is easier for you to get away from the hand if you miss.

An example is limping in with a strong or fairly strong hand on 3rd. If your hand is really strong, you can sometimes limpreraise if raise, but you can also limp/call.

Often on 4th, if you check, villain bets, which is fine with a really strong hand. Also, it isn't bad to have the hand checked on 4th in a of situations, as it makes it easier to win it on 5th or get away from it if you miss.

I think people have a tendency to play razz too aggressively. I don't think aggression is as valuable in razz as in games where you can't see opponents cards or as in stud high, where it is easy to misrepresent your hand.