Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-01-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Kammen\'s Winning Low-Limit 7-Card Stud

I just finished this book yesterday, and I found most of the basics just like any other book, but to be honest nothing stood out too much and it had some useful information except it had one really odd piece of advice in when bringing in with JJ[2] you should bring in full. It didn't specify of whether or not the board was threatening but simply stated you should bring in for a full bet which may be alright if the board is looking grim, but if there are 2 door cards higher than a J, I can't see this being the right play.

Overall the book had the basic info, and I find it didn't go into enough detail at certain points. I would only advise this book to a very inexperienced player or a recreational player looking just to play low limits like myself. Even then some of the advice shouldn't always be taken to heart.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Kammen\'s Winning Low-Limit 7-Card Stud

There are a lot of problems with Kammen's book. Here is an old thread that talks about it.

If you're looking for something aside from 7CSFAP, there is Othmer's book (the expanded version called "Seven Card Stud Poker"). It's not 7CSFAP, but I think it's certainly worth reading. Andy B. will disagree, as I'm sure others will. A lot of the charts and diagrams just seem to take up space, but there is useful information scattered about.

Mike from Professional Poker pimped it to me. Turns out that he's actually the only person selling it on Amazon, go figure, but I think it's worth reading.

Then of course there's the simple-but-readable West book, which is a little light if you're don't feel like digging into 7CSFAP right off. Other than the Reese chapter, it's what I read first.