Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
Can u give some details abwt yourself plz, like what games you play, site, when u went pro, how much you make per month/year? abit personal but its hard to relate to what she is saying not knowing how much money you make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't sure I should respond to this. I feel the thread is going off course. So one response only. Then back to the original topic.

Most of my income is from sports betting not poker. Poker I usually play 10-20 or 20-40 limit except Tuesdays when I either play in a NL game or a 50-100 limit. Online I play 5-10 / 10-20 limit between Feb-Aug. The rest of the year I play 1-2 to 5-10 limit.

I started in the early 90s and got better every year. Not sure when I went pro. The amount of money involved was enough that I'd consider myself pro in 97. I graduated law school in 99 so when I turned down my articling position I was committed to this as a career. So definitely pro by 00.

How much is something I never answer. My usual answer is more than a paperboy and less than Bill Gates. I don't like to talk about specific numbers. I drive a Porsche, my rent is $2700/month, I own a condo paid for in cash on the Mediterranean. Based on that you should have some context.

Now back to the original topic. I didn't mean to derail this. The point of my original post was to simply say that as long as the GF / wife benefits from the poker playing she won't complain. I just bought by Gf a $1900 Prada coat and a $850 Burberry coat because she couldn't decide which she liked better. How can she then turn around and tell me to get a job?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 AM

I think girls that are worth the time wouldn't really mind what you do.. From the perspective of long-term, if you're a winning player, it has many advantages.. you're at home and have a flexible schedule, you're putting in less hours than a normal full-time job (unless you grind a ton or are a tourney player), financially it's more lucrative than most jobs coming out of College, you can save up enough in a short amount of time to invest for the future, etc..

Of course if you're a tourney player this could be different due to tournament schedules and time commitments
Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 PM

omg, dude, I don't want to sound like a complete [censored], maybe it's because I'm on a massive downswing which is eating away at my soul, but this sounds like some serious [censored] compensation. And that she has to put it on myspace is just asking for a night of drinks with her friends where they tell her that she needs to find someone who can spend more time with her. And she'll be like "no, no, no" and they'll be like "yes, yes, yes," and you're going to have to deal with a situation sooner than later.

Your gf sticking close to you, in substantial part, because she thinks you're hawt and because you are doing something of a maverick sort of nature, which is also kinduv hawt for her. She digs that. But just wait until she hits close to 30 and wants to get settled down and have her man around on a more regular basis. You may need to consider making poker PT and getting a FT job. Believe me - having an FT when you are on a massive cooler is kinduv nice. I hate it because I feel like I'm missing value bets / bluffs that could compensate for my cooler, and that is in part because I miss afternoon tourneys and can't keep as sharp as I want because of work, but there is always 2+2. Unless you win a big one, that is. Race to a major win before serious committment issues fall into place? lol

Barry

Barry
Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought by Gf a $1900 Prada coat and a $850 Burberry coat because she couldn't decide which she liked better. How can she then turn around and tell me to get a job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job buying girlfriend off for $2,750! Cheap price to pay.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just bought by Gf a $1900 Prada coat and a $850 Burberry coat because she couldn't decide which she liked better. How can she then turn around and tell me to get a job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job buying girlfriend off for $2,750! Cheap price to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not be ridiculous. It's ok to buy girlfriends/wifes gifts you know. I know my gf def appreciates it when I do, whether it's a $700 pair of shoes or a $10 dvd she really likes.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And that she has to put it on myspace is just asking for a night of drinks with her friends where they tell her that she needs to find someone who can spend more time with her. And she'll be like "no, no, no" and they'll be like "yes, yes, yes," and you're going to have to deal with a situation sooner than later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of her friends seem completely ok with the fact that she's with me, so I'd be suprised if this were to happen. But then again I don't really know her friends all that well, so who knows.

[ QUOTE ]

Your gf sticking close to you, in substantial part, because she thinks you're hawt and because you are doing something of a maverick sort of nature, which is also kinduv hawt for her. She digs that. But just wait until she hits close to 30 and wants to get settled down and have her man around on a more regular basis. You may need to consider making poker PT and getting a FT job. Believe me - having an FT when you are on a massive cooler is kinduv nice. I hate it because I feel like I'm missing value bets / bluffs that could compensate for my cooler, and that is in part because I miss afternoon tourneys and can't keep as sharp as I want because of work, but there is always 2+2. Unless you win a big one, that is. Race to a major win before serious committment issues fall into place? lol

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just two years out of college, and poker is allowing me to do things I really like to do, such as travel with my gf and see friends and whatnot. It is also financially more lucrative then any job I could possible have at this point in my life. I'll invest most of the money I'm making and save it for use later on in my life. When it comes to having a job to rely on if/when I'm in the midst of a massive cooler, well I have enough money put away outside of my poker bankroll to last me awhile, so even if I were to go "poker busto" I'd have ample time to get a job or maybe even go back to school if I felt like it.

All that being said, I'm not planning on playing for a living the rest of my life. I'm going to keep investing my money, and probably withing a few years I'll get a job or start something myself (or maybe go back to school). I'm happy where I am in my life, with my relationship, with the money I'm making and the freedoms poker has given me, so while I'm always keeping my eyes open for new opportunities, for right now it's good.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You will want that 401k and health insurance and days paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay for all of these things.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfriend

You hit a jackpot with the GF there i guess.

Try meeting girls IRL or onlíne. Tell them you play poker for a living, and most of these clueless girls will tell you:

It is not possible to earn money by playing poker, and you must have a gambling problem.
Pretty funny and sharp conclusion, when it comes from people who have zero knowledge about poker.

People like to judge alot more, than they are willing to understand.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfriend

Someone who plays poker needs to first establish that they have money before the topic of occupation comes up.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to keep investing my money, and probably withing a few years I'll get a job or start something myself (or maybe go back to school).

[/ QUOTE ]

Money is inconsequential at this point in life. The return you will get on investing in your skill base will be much greater than the return on money.

Yes, you can get a job, but it is much more lucrative to have a career. Hopping on the career path at a later age is much more difficult than doing it when you are young.

If you were to plot your net present value of your lifetime earnings from a decent career it will in all likelihood be much greater than playing poker for 5 years (while saving money) and then getting a job.

There will of course be exceptions. And I am just talking about the safe path. Taking the road less travelled can be a blast too.