Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 AM

Default NFL Developmental league....Thoughts???

I know how baseball prepares it players that are not ready for MLB (AAA, AA, A, College, etc), and I know how hockey does (IHL, AHL, etc), but I'm not sure what happens to a drafted NFL player that is not yet ready for the NFL.

I realize there are arena league and Canadian Football League options, but these don't provide for a direct affiliation by NFL team like MLB and the NHL does.

So (and I apologize if this is a stupid question), but why hasn't it been looked at that the Canadian Football League and NFL form some form of affiliation?

For example, the British Columbia Lions could serve as a farm-like team for the Chargers, Seahawks, 49ers and Raiders. The Toronto team could serve the Bills, Jets, Pats, etc. Could this type of relationship make the CFL stronger and more interesting, and also give NFL teams a chance to develop talent other than through a practice roster?

It might mean the CFL would need to tweak a few rules (and maybe start the season sooner), but it could aslo create a US audience for pro-football in the summer season, when much of the CFL is played.

The only reason I can think that this would not work well is becuase there might be no need for a transitional league between NCAA and the NFL? You either make it right away or fall off the radar, in most cases? Is that the case? I'm just wondering. Help me out folks...

Thoughts? Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: NFL Developmental league....Thoughts???

AFIK this has been discussed in the past. It would be tough because the NFL would want the CFL to change its rules, and the rules are what make the CFL unique.

I've always thought that having the developmental team in the same city as the NFL team would make sense. They could play their games before the "big boys".
Old 11-24-2007, 02:46 AM

There is NFL Europe. Teams don't have direct NFL affiliations, but the individual players do.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 AM

NFL Europe was dissolved.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is NFL Europe. Teams don't have direct NFL affiliations, but the individual players do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that shut down.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NFL Europe was dissolved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone here old enough to remember when it first started out as the WLAF (World League of American Football). Montreal had a team called the Machine. It was horrifically bad to watch. Not XFL bad, but pretty close.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Theres also the Arena Football League and the AFL2.

One of the reasons I dont think an NFL-D league would work is because football players shelf-lives are too short imo. Its not worth it for a team to develope a player in a minor league system for a few years to have them come up and play for a limited time in the pros. College football is basically the NFL-D league...
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 AM

i don't think people here in canada would want minor league NFL ball.... CFL players are not as talented as NFL players (some are as fast, but most are smaller), but basically the big field makes the game completely different (tons of other differences but that and the 3 down system are probably the two biggest differences).

it's interesting that you mention cfl mostly in the summer. some truth to that although the championship game is on sunday... but i think the CFL should move exclusively to spring/summer regardless of whether the NFL comes to toronto (and i think it will. i think it's almost a gentlemen's agreement already)
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres also the Arena Football League and the AFL2.

One of the reasons I dont think an NFL-D league would work is because football players shelf-lives are too short imo. Its not worth it for a team to develope a player in a minor league system for a few years to have them come up and play for a limited time in the pros. College football is basically the NFL-D league...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is an excellent point, and aside from a few guys who come out of nowhere late in their careers, it's a pretty efficient market in football - it's fairly rare for an undrafted player to have a huge impact.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:11 AM

There is already an NFL minor league system, its called NCAA football and the NFL practice squad. I would guess NCAA would be like rookie ball/single-A and practice squad player would be like double-A/triple-A.