Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no Mortal Kombat made the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Level?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Somebody mentioned Star Control 2, which I haven't even played but know it's considered to be one of the best PC games ever, but I don't remember seeing it on the list. Was it there and I just missed it or is it some crazy oversight?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Bummmed there was no Wing Commander/Privateer game in the list . Personally I think HL and HL2 should be switched around. Also surprised the Ultima series isn't higher. Also as having only owned a NES I'm surprised there were so many Nintendo system games in the top 20. I kind of expected Everquest to be on the list since it started the MMO genre, but I guess if WoW is so low on the list EQ doesn't make it.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:24 AM

I can't belive Diablo 2 didn't make the list
Old 12-01-2007, 05:14 AM

I don't know, I understand that Tetris was a huge game, but I don't get how that was better than a lot of these games. No Diablo or Diablo II at all on the list is a travesty. It figures that Super Mario Bros. is #1, but I think that SMB 3 improved on SMB1 and that SMB64 blew by both of them in terms of innovation. No qualms with OOT, Civ II, or FFIII on the top 10. I agree with an earlier poster in that RE4 isn't exactly top 10 material. It was entertaining and engaging, but I can't see anything that set it apart from any other FPS, and anything that would make it the 2nd highest rated FPS of all time.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:18 AM

holy crap, vader, ur right about d2, bad exclusion imo as well...

just some notables that brought a smile to my face [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

86. perfect dark
64. TA
59. RA 1
50. SSB 1
47. God of War 1
39. SMB 3
Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A number of factors were taken into consideration when selecting a winner: How good the game was compared to others of its time, its overall game design, how well it stands up over the years, how influential it has been in the realm of gaming and just plain how much fun we had playing it are all points for contention.

[/ QUOTE ]
Super Mario Brothers and Tetris rightfully destroy a lot of games when judged by this criteria
Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A number of factors were taken into consideration when selecting a winner: How good the game was compared to others of its time, its overall game design, how well it stands up over the years, how influential it has been in the realm of gaming and just plain how much fun we had playing it are all points for contention.

[/ QUOTE ]
Super Mario Brothers and Tetris rightfully destroy a lot of games when judged by this criteria

[/ QUOTE ]

I know and when based on their criteria they used for judging, I have no problem with those two as #1 and 2. However, I feel like that as games and systems evolve, there are better games that can replace those games as the best ever. So by my criteria, SMB and Tetris are still very good games, but not the two best ever. Honestly, Tetris was just a puzzle game that I'm pretty sure my buddy (Who is a computer Science major at UM) could make in not that long of a time. It was influential, but I feel like there are games that have passed it in terms of being the greatest ever.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM

I don't want to necessarily search through the top 100 at this time, but was "Alone in the Dark" in there?

I am assuming not, but that game, as far as I know, was the first real survival horror game and at the time was pretty neat.

I guess my question is, if that game didn't spawn survival horror-a pretty popular genre-, what are we giving credit for doing so...Resident Evil?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't belive Diablo 2 didn't make the list

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, omissions like these make my head hurt