Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Default 25NL JJ - reraise and then K hit

Hi

Should I have folded here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP1 ($25)
MP2 ($22.80)
CO ($38.80)
Button ($37.45)
SB ($19.95)
BB ($25)
Hero ($14.50)
UTG+1 ($56.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2.75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($5.85) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $10.85
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: JJ - reraise and then K hit

I would have folded too, of course that doesn't mean it's the best course of action....

I would have also raised 4xBB or 5x to compensate for the poor position. I think calling back PF is good.

On the flop villain is standard c-betting, I find myself lost here, I c-bet myself too in these situations and expect villain to fold, and they more often than not do. Grunch. So what is in villains range: TT+, AK, AQ?, AJ?.

Perhaps more experienced players can answer if that K overcard is scary?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM

Over card isnt what you wanted to see on the flop, but I would have led out with a decent 3/4 pot sized bet, this will help you to gather some information. If you get reraised you can easily lay it down and if you get called I would suggest c/f turn.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Given the stacks, I think c/f'ing is fine here, however I wouldn't fault a 1/2 pot bet either (to fold out TT/QQ/AQ).
Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: 25NL JJ - reraise and then K hit

[ QUOTE ]

Hero ($14.50)
CO ($38.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero raises to $0.75, 3 folds, CO raises to $2.75, 3 folds, Hero calls $2...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just fold preflop. Calling off more than 10% of your stack OOP with a mid-sized pair (and JJ is a mid-sized pair) is spew.

You can't call profitably for set value. You are out of position when you do hit your set, making it harder to get paid off in many cases. And, worst of all, if you end up OOP on an all low-card flop then you can end up stacking off to QQ-AA if you aren't willing to fold your "overpair."

The 5/10 rule is a good one when considering calling a preflop raise. A raise of $2 is more than 10% of the effective stacks, so fold.

Also, you should usually top off to avoid playing short stacked. With a full stack you could probably justify calling for set value despite being OOP. Or, if you are short stacking, then your stack should be shorter, and then you should probably push or fold preflop anyway.