Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Default recommended reading

hello, community. id first like to introduce myself as this is my first post on this forum - former lurker. im a 31 yr old male and have been playing casually for about 5 yrs. mainly home NL tournaments. Ive been out of the country for a yr and i cannot play anymore (Dubai blocks gambling sites) so i decided to start reading to get better at the game. i plan to start doing micro limit games when i get back and build up a bank roll to move up to higher stakes.
so far ive read poker theory (sklansky) and small stakes holdem (miller,sklansky,malmuth). i was wondering if you kind folks could recommend some other books to help me improve my game.

thanks in advance
-z
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: recommended reading

Phil Gordon's series (blue, black, green), Daniel Negreanu's book is a great quicky for running over basics with a few of his own tweaks. Also psychology of poker and your own worst enemy are great for the mental side of the game. Top that all off with The Book of Bluffs and I think that should keep you busy for a while.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: recommended reading

Hello, welcome, thanks for coming out of the woodwork!

You've already read TOP, which is essential to any game.

The Poker Mindset and The Mathematics of Poker are IMO the only other two you need to study if you're going into cashgames.

If you're going into tourneys or SnGs, combine The Poker Mindset with the Harrington on Holdem series, and you're gold.

Suppliment all of this with info from 2+2, you'll learn the basics from the books, and see the applications to the current poker climate on 2+2.

There is no need to overload yourself with books. It's better that you give 3-4 a SOLID study, rather than give 8-9 a 'read'.