Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Who to keep (baseball)?

5X5 League, I can keep 4 of the following players....

A-Rod
Vlad
Jake Peavey
BJ Ryan
Matt Holliday.

We play 8 Pitchers, Max 1500 Innings, Play three Outfielders, and 3 UTILL spots that extra outfielders could fill.

A-Rod and Vlad are definitly staying, but I'm not sure on the other sports.

Ken
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Who to keep (baseball)?

Ditch BJ Ryan

Closers are so inconsistent.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditch BJ Ryan

Closers are so inconsistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. ditch ryan and watch how teams like boston react to their bullpen situation. odds are piniero will win the job, and based solely on who he plays for, will have similar save totals.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
agreed. ditch ryan and watch how teams like boston react to their bullpen situation. odds are piniero will win the job, and based solely on who he plays for, will have similar save totals.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that ryan is probably the right guy to drop, but the idea that pineiro can be forecast for a similar fantasy value to ryan is ludicrous.

IF pineiro wins the job out of spring training and IF he stays healthy and IF he is effective enough to close (which he has not been for his entire career) and IF he is never removed from the role at any point in the season, he will still be expected to get fewer saves than ryan, and still produce much worse numbers in K, ERA, and WHIP.

closers are not one-category players, and unproven "closers" are favored to lose their jobs at some point during the season.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that ryan is probably the right guy to drop, but the idea that pineiro can be forecast for a similar fantasy value to ryan is ludicrous.

IF pineiro wins the job out of spring training and IF he stays healthy and IF he is effective enough to close (which he has not been for his entire career) and IF he is never removed from the role at any point in the season, he will still be expected to get fewer saves than ryan, and still produce much worse numbers in K, ERA, and WHIP.

closers are not one-category players, and unproven "closers" are favored to lose their jobs at some point during the season.

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt say he was going to have similar era/k/whip numbers, i said he would have similar save numbers. and i said "watch a team like boston", teams that don't have set closers. if you had done that last year, you would have had the best closer in baseball for the majority of the season.

i'd bet more people are going to keep sp's and offensive players than closers regardless, so there will be more opportunity to replace bj ryan than there would to replace holliday.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
and i said "watch a team like boston", teams that don't have set closers. if you had done that last year, you would have had the best closer in baseball for the majority of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i'm hearing here is "if absolutely everything breaks right for you, and your pitcher not only has a huge breakout but also gets really really lucky, he still returns less value than bj ryan." (which papelbon did last year)

you are not drafting saves. you are drafting value. if you argue that the guy you pick is not going to return anywhere near the same value that ryan does, your purpose has been defeated right then and there.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 AM

a-rod, his clutch level is just not good enough to keep on your team

lololol im jk obv

i'd drop peavy