Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Home Help/Advice Thread

I just bought my first place a 2 br/2.5 bath town home and am just starting to do things around the house. I'm young and am pretty clueless as to how to do a lot of things around the house. Luckily I won't have to do any outside work as of yet, but the inside stuff is beginning to pile up.

So this thread is for any of you homeowners to ask how to do things that you can't figure out the solution for and also for some of you veteran homeowners to let us new guys know some of the things that have been the most useful to you over the years (tools, appliances, etc.)

One of the first thing my wife has asked me to do is to hang up her 2 shot glass racks that her dad and grandpa made. So I find the studs, drill two 3/32" holes (one for each) and put two mounting screws in them. I go to hang the first one up and it looks like the one in the diagram on the right, slanted down a bit and the top part of it can move up to about 1". I thought about putting two picture mounts on the back with the teeth on them so that it won't move around, but the border is only 1/2" and the backing I can't put a screw in without it going through to the front. I don't want to put her shot glass collection in there and have it fall down especially since one of them is only a foot away from the garage door. I've already hung a couple of things without a problem , but this one has me stumped.

So far I've found the things I've needed most:
Drill with many different bits
Stud Finder
Adjustable wrench (replaced shower head with)
Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Home Help/Advice Thread

just cut a small piece of wood and get some double stick tape and tape it to the inside near the bottom. It would be like a stand-off to level the thing out.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just cut a small piece of wood and get some double stick tape and tape it to the inside near the bottom. It would be like a stand-off to level the thing out.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it off the wall like that you don't think it will fall because that's my fear at this point.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 PM

if you're worried about it falling then screw it to the wall instead, 18 inches or so below the other screw.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 AM

If you shorten the wire it will bring the unit closer to the wall.

Use a "fender washer" on the mounting screw. Place the wire behind the washer to ensure the wire wont slip off the screw.

Use "earthquake putty" on the bottom corners of the rack to level it and secure it to the wall. Use the same putty on the bottom of the shot glasses to secure them to the shelf.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 PM

I'm an idiot and I took a teakettle full of boiling water off the stove and put it on my kitchen table. It made a stain that won't come off with soap and water so I think I probably damaged the wood. What are some other ways to get rid of wood stains?

[img]
[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 PM

you melted some of the table finish, it's not a stain it's damage. The only fix would be to sand it down and re-finish it
Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM

you could try rubbing in a little paste wax like pledge and that may blend the poly marks out. if that doesnt work you can try getting some satin finish as thats what it looks like, polyurethane and rub it lightly on the spots. it may take and give you something you can live with. other wise as said, sand and re poly it.