Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Wife turning 30... is this a good gift?

So, my wife turns 30 on Saturday. Unfortunately her birthday is coming at kind of a busy time... we just had a huge going-away party, so another big party is out. And we're about to leave on our year-long trip, so a mini-trip (something she has talked about before) is basically out.

We were planning on being in Europe when she turned 30, but it just didn't work out that way. I think she's disappointed about that, and she might be disappointed if we don't do something fairly special to celebrate.

That said, I don't want to spend a lot of dough because I feel like we are spending a [censored] ton getting ready for our trip, and obv we will spend a lot while traveling.

So here's what I came up with:

A wine-tasting package at McMenamins Grand Lodge. It includes a night at the Grand lodge, transportation to and from several nearby wineries for sampling and dinner for two (including two more glasses of wine) at one of the hotel's restaurants.

The package costs $250, which I think is pretty reasonable.

Or...... would it be better to just book a room for $65 and spend the $190 on dinner and our own private wine tasting?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Wife turning 30... is this a good gift?

[ QUOTE ]

Or...... would it be better to just book a room for $65 and spend the $190 on dinner and our own private wine tasting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hubba hubba!

Seriously, this seems like a fairly hard call on the data presented. You'd probably go to a better restaurant this way, but with less gallivanting around it will probably feel like less of an event, too. The exception to this would be if there was some high class restaurant you'd both been meaning to go to for a long time, but (I've essentially no experience with such things) trying to get a reservation 3 days out might be hard.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 PM

SC,

I think that's a great gift, and think the package is probably not as good a deal, but worth doing just to have them take care of all the details and stuff.

Having said that, another option is to spend $250 on dinner for two at someplace really nice. Or get a nice hotel room and have room service.

If she really likes wine, I'd stick with your package. If she's more into romantic dinners, I'd pick a nice dinner place and use the money on that instead of the wine trip.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Y'know, I think I just researched myself out of buying that package.

I'm sure it would be great, but it looks like there's a ton of stuff to do at the hotel, so booking a room and just enjoying what's there might be better.

I'm thinking disc golf (free), soaking pool (free), then splurging at dinner plus the room will be a lot less than $250 and probably just as fun.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, another option is to spend $250 on dinner for two at someplace really nice. Or get a nice hotel room and have room service.

If she really likes wine, I'd stick with your package. If she's more into romantic dinners, I'd pick a nice dinner place and use the money on that instead of the wine trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've talked about going wine tasting before and I think she'd enjoy it, but I think she'd also enjoy just doing stuff at the hotel and the chance to really splurge on dinner.

Hmmmmm.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 PM

If your wife likes dessert wine, you should know that 1977 happens to be a very good year for port. Get a bottle of 1977 Vintage Port (I think it's about $100 for a bottle).

http://www.intowine.com/portvin.html
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 PM

She's gonna be disappointed I think with the package deal. The restaurant at that place is not exactly worthy of a 30th birthday. I'll also bet that the wine tour doesn't take you to the better quality wineries. Furthermore, it doesn't take any effort to book a package and effort, ime, counts for a lot when it comes to gifts for the lady. One of the reasons I'm still single is that I'm so damned lazy.

I think she would be way happier if you did something like go play disc golf and then go to a nice restaurant and then bring a really nice bottle of wine to the restaurant as well as a hand written letter talking about bla, bla, love, bla, bla, you are the best, bla, bla, bla... Better yet buy two bottles of wine. One to drink at dinner and the other to drink on her 40th birthday. it would be good to have a little story validating how much the wine rocks.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM

SC,

I took a look at the website and it didn't look like there were any super-romantic restaurants, but maybe I missed it. What I saw looked like more casual/fun type places.

When I mentioned splurging for dinner, I was thinking more of expensive dinner out, skipping the hotel, and really splurging on the dinner.

If you do go to the hotel and don't do the wine trip, spend some of the $$$ on some kind of spa treatment for her.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 PM

SC,

Having never been to the Grand Lodge but other McMenamins (gone to Edgefield tons of times and though I never stayed there as we lived in Gresham then we always wanted to) I think it's a great idea. Sort of is like a little mini trip feel but not too expensive. Is there a reasonable restaurant in the Grand Lodge? At Edgefield there is a standard place and a more high end restaurant which isn't super nice but I would consider credible.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Nice idea i may have to do something like this for my misses birthday. But i think i would go with the room seperate and have your own meal and wine tasting session. At least this way you have no restrictions can do things in your own time and enjoy some of the hotels facilities aswell.
Hope you both have a good time.