Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Buffy Season Two - maybe spoilers

I love seeing how many people are getting turned on to Buffy. I didn't start watching the show until season 6. Over the years I had caught a few episodes here and there but didn't "get it". While season 6 was airing I had the opportunity to catch season 1 on DVD. I was hooked. Courtesy of the Space network running a new episode every night my wife and I were completely caught up by the time Season 7 aired.

You definitely need to start with season 1 though. The character development over the seven seasons is fairly intricate and if you miss out on this you may never catch on to the series. Also small events from previous seasons may have a more significant impact later in the series. For example (in white): <font color="white"> One episode of season three has Angel being tormented by what he thinks are the spirits of those he has killed - including Jenny Calender. In turns out it is actually The First Evil taking on these forms. The First resurfaces to become the Big Bad in season 7. </font> Although season one can be trying at times it is essential viewing if you want to watch the entire series. The good news is it's only 12 episodes long.

Angel is the same although its first season is slightly better than Buffy's. A few things happen during the first season that dramatically improve the series. The most significant is (in white) <font color="white"> the death of Doyle </font> which allows Cordelia to develop into an actual multi-dimensional character who is integral to the show. The same happens for Wes as he sheds to dorky Rogue Vampire Killer persona and becomes kinda badass... oh yeah, and Fred is hot.

I refused to watch this show for so long and almost missed out on it because of the whole Teen Vampire Killer thing. My wife and I (both educated, professional 35 year olds) became huge fans. The show is easily ranked in my Top 10 all time series.

EDIT: Joss Whedon has created an 8th season of Buffy in comic book format. They are three issues in - I haven't read any yet but will order them at some point in the future. (ugh. I feel 12 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])
Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They just get better IMO. Best season is either 6 or 7(7 = last)

[/ QUOTE ]

2 is probably the best, 6 is excellent as well ("musical" episode is friggin brilliant). I really didn't care for season 7 at all.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 PM

I just finished watching all the seasons. I thought season 6 was bad, although it has a strong ending. Season 6 is the only season without an arc (it kind of has one, but not really). Season 7 was much better than season 6, although it wasn't as good as seasons 2 and 3.
I just finished watching Angel season 4. I think Angel gets better and better, I really like the show. Angel season 3 is about 100 times better than Buffy season 6. The ending in season 4 wasn't that strong, but the arc was actually very cool overall.
I just have watch Angel season 5 and Buffy season 1 (I skipped season 1 when starting watching the series) to complete the watching of Joss Whedon's shows.
Buffy is a wonderful show.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Buffy

Every once in a while I grab the DVDs off my shelf and watch Innocence, Passion, and Becoming, just as a little CliffNotes version of Season 2.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Buffy

Every once in a while I grab the DVDs off my shelf and watch Innocence, Passion, and Becoming, just as a little CliffNotes version of Season 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning to do something similar. I just found the DVDs at half price and bought them. One of the things I plan to do is watch those 3 episodes, Restless from season 4, some selected episodes from season 3 and the musical episode. I was watching the special features of season 7 and there's a feature with Joss's favorite 10 episodes, all of them look so good, I just felt like watching them again. (actually, out of Joss's top 10, there's one that I don't like that much. I wasn't a fan of the episode Doppelgangland).
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 PM

A couple days ago Amazon had a one day sale for all the box set. Just $95 (down from the usual 165)for all 7 seasons. I made sure to pick that up. Great show.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 AM

Seasons 2-3 of Buffy have an awesome story arc.
Later seasons have good individual episodes, but the seasons don't match up to those two.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple days ago Amazon had a one day sale for all the box set. Just $95 (down from the usual 165)for all 7 seasons. I made sure to pick that up. Great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I took advantage of that too. I am waiting on it.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seasons 2-3 of Buffy have an awesome story arc.
Later seasons have good individual episodes, but the seasons don't match up to those two.

[/ QUOTE ]

The seasons don't match up, but I think the story arcs in seasons 5 and 7 are very good. The arc in season 4 was a little disappointing and the arc in season 6 is just terrible.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 PM

No spoiler, but Season Three's (significantly) better, and Season Two is absolutely amazing.
By the way, this show is, at least to me, by far the best and most important show I've ever seen.