Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: no point in life?

Join the military.

Serve your country.

Get out, hopefully alive and intact.

You will appreciate having a boring job a lot more than you do now. At least no one will be shooting at you. I know I benefitted from my time in the army.

A lot of young people without focus do well after a 3- or 4-year stint in the service.

And if you are a pacifist, a stint in something like the Peace Corps is an option, as well.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 PM

youre stucking between end of youth and becoming an adult.
youre only 22, dont worry too much, feeling like in nomansland isnt unusual in this time,i would suggest to find a passion (whatever that means for you- a creative hobby? girl/s? sports?)
Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM

The reality of leaving college/university and being bored in life is a common thing. Something like 80% of my friends have faced in the last few years, whether they have dropped out or finish most end up in call centres being bored all day without much to think about. Some are lucky enough to get a good job but most dont- such is life.
I may well find myself at your stage in the next year, but I can only suggest that you do something. Find something that interests you and focus on it. Even if you dont, think of something you want to do and try to make it happen. You should take pride that you dont seem to be the time of person to settle for a mediocre life. Whether it be poker, gym, sexual conquests, whatever you like really...As long as it keeps you motivated in life its worth it. This may or may not work for you, but I feel like I need some motivation in life to keep me sane.

If all else fails, why not look abroad. Coming from the UK is a wonderful thing in the oppurtunities it allows you to go around the world. The pound goes far further almost everywhere in the world than here.

Good luck
Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reality of leaving college/university and being bored in life is a common thing. Something like 80% of my friends have faced in the last few years, whether they have dropped out or finish most end up in call centres being bored all day without much to think about. Some are lucky enough to get a good job but most dont-

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this is a big problem because we are sending way too many people to university. I'd say at least 60% of undergrad students have no business being at university. In the end it just builds up their expectations and makes the inevitable disappointment that much greater.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM

I had no choice but to go to univeristy to go on and be a teacher which is what I intended as it is not possible to teach without a degree (rightfully so). The mistake I made was rushing into the wrong course at the wrong university so to say 60% etc. may be right in one sense but I feel the advice given before you head off to univeristy is severely lacking.

I have no doubt had someone spoken to me more in depth at the time I would be finished with Uni with a degree and a full time job where I was happy and none of my above problems?

But I still appreciate the massive response on the thread and read every new reply so thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Pick up a book called value Averaging and work your ass off in your twenties!!! You have a ton of time and if you go to work every day feeling the same way then you obviously don't have a good plan set up for your future. If you really hate that job quit it and get another that you like but don't sit around keep the pressure on and make as much money as possible and invest it. You'll end up rich the the college kids will spend years paying off their student loans. I turned a job I made $13 an hour at into $47K dollars by time I was 22 years old. I worked my ass off, sometimes over 100 hours a week. Work work work in your 20's man!!! Stop mopeing and work as much as humanly possible and invest!!!

Now I tried a lot of things and at the age of 33 I'm basically starting over but in two dedicated years I have paid off all my debt and now have a decent amount banked and I'm ready to start getting back into the market again. If I would have not taken risks I would have been way ahead financially but not as wise personally. This time I'm going to try to do it mistake free if I can. You see you have plenty of time but you need to set yourself a goal and then go after it with some meaning behind it.

My goal is to be a millionaire when I retire restarting from 0 not even two months ago. When you get your debt paid off your feel a whole lot better. Do what ever you have to to speed up the process!!